Friday, February 15, 2008

We loved this Split Pea Soup!


Anyone who knows us knows that T. is a huge lover of anything pork or made with pork fat...so how did I get him to eat Split Pea soup without a ham hock in it???? I made it and served it to him on Valentine's Day along with a loaf of fresh homemade bread, that's how! Is there anyway on a day that men are so filled with guilt could he have possibly said "no way will I eat that!" Anyway he ate it an really liked it so did the girls!!! I have to say that it was probably one of the best pea soups that I have ever had and it is all courtesy of Heidi at 101 Cookbooks.

Now, I know that her recipe says "vegetarian" pea soup but she has some really great recipes on there that you can tailor to a non vegetarian life style. I eat meat but I am very consciously aware about what I will consume. I will only eat meat that I am sure does not support any CAFOs therefore my family will only eat the same as I am their food source! I make all of my own stocks for soups and use only meats that are humanely raised.

Yes, this is challenging but I am not fully convinced that a vegetarian lifestyle is the best for me and my family. Now that all said we try to eat a mainly vegetarian diet with a small amount of meat protein thrown in. We are trying to make it so that is not the main part of our meal. So when I saw what sounded like a great recipe for Pea Soup I knew I had to try it! I did add chicken stock to help add some flavor and replace half of the water and I also added soup vegetable soup base to help bring out the flavor.

Will I make this again? Oh yes definitely. It was very fast and easy to make. Everyone enjoyed it - even the girls and T. took it for his lunch today so that says something right there!
Vegetarian Split Pea Soup (Heidi of 101 Cookbooks)

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 large onions, chopped (I added 3 cloves of garlic as well)
1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
2 cups dried split green peas, picked over and rinsed
5 cups water (I substituted 3 cup of the water with homemade chicken stock)
juice of 1/2 lemon (reserve the zest)

a few pinches of smoked paprika
more olive oil to drizzle

Add olive oil to a big pot over med-high heat. Stir in onions and salt and cook until the onions soften, just a minute or two. Add the split peas and water. Bring to a boil, dial down the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the peas are cooked through (but still a touch al dente). Using a large cup or mug ladle half of the soup into a bowl and set aside. Using a hand blender (or regular blender) puree the soup that is still remaining in the pot. Stir the reserved (still chunky) soup back into the puree - you should have a soup that is nicely textured. If you need to thin the soup out with more water (or stock) do so a bit at a time. Stir in the lemon juice and taste. If the soup needs more salt, add more a bit at a time until the flavor of the soup really pops.

Ladle into bowls or cups, and serve each drizzled with olive oil and topped with a good pinch of smoked paprika and a touch of lemon zest.

Serves 4 to 6.

As Always...


Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

6 comments:

Thistlemoon said...

Hi Judy, I hear what you are saying about the meat consumption. We don't eat loads of meat and when we do, it is an accent to a dish - not the main thing. But we are trying to cut out even more meat.

Heather said...

I love split pea soup. I do like a scant bit o' ham in there, but the smoky-saltiness can easily come from somewhere else.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Susan @ SGCC said...

This looks like a nice recipe for SPS. I really like the recipes of Heidi's that I've tried.

You know, we are neighbors. I am up in Sarasota. I've been to Cape Coral many times. Nice to meet you! :)

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Thanks Jenn-I never know if that part is kind of over the top but to me it has changed the way we eat!

Oh Heather-Just try it without the pork fat...my dh loved it and I think he is addicted to pork fat!

Hi stickygooeycreamychewy! Love Sarasota...you guys have way nicer beaches than us!

Heather said...

(I use 99% fat-free turkey ham. Shh. Don't tell anyone.)