Monday, February 4, 2008

Could Sunday be Soup Day?


Yesterday was one of those days when I am so grateful to be living in Florida. We didn't really so too much but the weather has just been perfect. Nice and cool during the night and warm during the day. We went to Boca Grande. Spent some time on the beach and then went for lunch. All the while I was making soup at home!

When I was shopping last week I found some Turkey soup bones at the meat market. They were on sale so I grabbed them up and figured I would make a nice soup out of them. Turned out really good too!

Homemade Turkey/Mushroom/Wild Rice Soup - or Sunday Soup!

Stock

turkey bones
onion (quartered)
dried parsley (about a handful)
garlic (peeled)
1/2 tsp dried thyme
celery (rough chop)

Brown turkey in 2 Tbsp of olive oil. Add enough water to cover. Add remainng ingredients and allow to simmer for at least 4 hours (we left our on for about 8). Strain when finished. Keep the bones and the greens from the stock and return the strained stock the the stove top.

Turkey Soup

2 C. Wild Rice (uncooked)
1 C. dried mixed wild mushrooms
2 C. chopped Swiss Chard
2 tsp. Better Than Bouillon Turkey or Chicken Base

Add wild rice to the stock as well as the wild mushrooms. Allow to cook for about 1 hr. You may need to add some more water to your soup but be sure to add hot water. When the rice and mushrooms are done cooking you can take the stock ingredients that you saved and chop up some of the onion and garlic to return to the pot. Also pick all of the meat from the turkey bones and chop into bite sized pieces and add to the soup.
Now is when you will need to be taste testing the soup. I found that I needed about 2 tsp of soup base (Better Than Bouillon) and some ground pepper. Add the greens close to the end. You really just want them to steam down.

This soup was so good and earthy tasting. Even the girls loved it!!!

I made biscuits to go with this. I used a recipe from one of my favorite blogs...Life on A Southern Farm by GA Farmwoman.

Click here for recipe! This goes great with the local Orange Blossom honey that I bought last week.

As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm impressed you really made the biscuits.
The turkey soup sounds really good. I am saving the recipe. I've grown swiss chard before and thinking of planting some in my raised beds real soon. Cleaning them all out now, getting ready to plant again. Thanks for including me.

Anonymous said...

Awesome Post! Love your photo’s too!