Friday, February 29, 2008

Royal Foodie Joust - in just under the wire!!!



I did it...I really thought that there was no way that I was going to get this done but I did! The Royal Foodie Joust is an event that is held each month. It is hosted by the amazing Jenn - the Left Over Queen. Each month the winner from the previous month gets to choose the three ingredients that we are suppose to create a recipe using. Last month's winner was Heather - Gild the Voodoolily and she chose Pork, Citrus and Pink Peppercorns. When I saw those ingredients my first thought was that would make a really crappy brownie!!! See, I love brownies and anytime I can I make them I do. But this time I was going to have to be a bit more creative than that!

I also had a real problem this month finding pork that I would eat. If you have read anything in this blog you will know my stand on CAFOs and Factory Farming. I am still a carnivore but I refuse to support the industry. This is a challenge but one that I am determined to succeed at. I have found chicken, beef, pork, buffalo meat and seafood that is all humanely treated and fed. But for some reason I could not find what I wanted to out of desperation I grabbed some hot Italian style pork sausages that was humanely raised. I had no idea what to do with this. So after standing in front of my open fridge for about and hour (yeah...for real!).See messy food filled fridge?

It hit me. I had some fresh cilantro still so I was going to make a citrus salsa to go along with my sausage. Turned out absolutely incredible. It was so fresh tasting and zesty along with the hot sausage.
All the ingredients I needed!


Sunshine Citrus Salsa

1 lime
1 lemon
1 orange (I used cara cara oranges)
1 carambola
1 small white onion (chopped)
1/2 fresh jalapeno (use more if you have more)
1/8 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 Tbsp of tequila (a couple of shots for the cook didn't hurt either!)
1/2 tsp crushed pink peppercorns
salt to taste

Cut up all of the fruit into small pieces. With the citrus make sure that all the white and membrane is removed. Stir all of the ingredients together and allow to sit for at least an hour before using. I used it the next day and it was incredible!

I just pan fried the sausage and served it with the salsa, oven roasted beets and sauteed spinach. I wish I had of had people over to eat this with us.

Would I make this again? - You bet!!!


And onto something totally unrelated there is a new picture on my side bar telling you that I am famous. Click on the click here link to read the interview!

As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

9 comments:

Peter M said...

Judy, good thinking on your feet...good luck in the Joust!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Thanks Peter and you too!

kellypea said...

Ahh...a break from French bread...(hahahaha). Your thinking process reminds me of me. And I love a packed fridge. You really came up with a great dish. I love salsa any way I can get it. Never have tried those carambolas, though. Interesting!

kellypea said...

How funny. Your response just popped up as I was commenting the first one. You know, it was an interesting challenge and I'm completely glad I did it. I'm a fearless cook, and have tackled some amazing things in the kitchen (including my husband...hahahah) but I've really been a little skittish about this recipe. Live and learn, right? Now that I've taken up all this space on your blog...back to reading about French Bread!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Thanks Kelly...I just couldn't find time for the 30 hr french bread!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, that looks so good. You have some great ideas! Could I trade you some pinestraw for some of those good things you cook up? LOL

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This is an incredible and fresh idea for the Royal Foodie Joust. I never thought of sausages :D I guess it's time to vote!!!!!

Cris said...

Hi Judy, I love carambola! I've had carambola juice, plain carambola and now I should try this salsa, it looks great!

Heather said...

Yay! That looks great, Judy! It reminds me of a Cuban mojo.