Friday, March 13, 2009

Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

I was hunting around the internet trying to come up with something different to do with over ripe bananas. I make banana bread all the time so I kind of wanted something a little special. My oldest daughter was doing her FCAT’s all week (FL standardized testing).

I found this banana cake recipe that was simple, straight forward and (grin) I had all the ingredients!!!

Turned out wonderfully. A delicious light cake that everyone in the family loved! Will definitely be making this one again!

I put really cute little butterfly sprinkles around the outside for the kids and then served ours with banana!

Banana Cake (from Mom’s Who Think)

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
2 cups flour, sifted
1/2 tsp. of salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp. vanilla
3/4 tsp. baking soda (add to pureed bananas)
3 pureed bananas, very ripe

Cream Cheese Frosting:

1/2 stick butter, softened
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 box powdered sugar (1 lb.)
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x13" baking pan or two 9" layer cake pans.

2. Cream butter, sugar and eggs. Sift flour several times, then add the salt and baking powder to the flour.

3. To the creamed butter mixture, add the milk and flour (alternating, beginning and ending with flour).

4. Add vanilla and mashed bananas (with the baking soda added to the bananas) to this mixture.

5. Bake layer cakes (9") for 25-30 minutes, oblong (9x13") for 35-40 minutes.

Frosting Directions:

1. Mix cream cheese and butter until smooth, add sugar and vanilla and blend well. Spread on cooled cake.

As Always…

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

26 comments:

Brittany said...

I saw the tweet and expected to find a muffin or something...but a cake! A CAKE!? YES! I want this!

AssertiveWit said...

this was a great recipe! my mom used to take the leftover oatmeal from the morning and make us oatmeal cookies with it...the cookies were better than her oatmeal, in my opinion LOL

another good use for bananas that are getting too ripe...banana pancakes and banana nut bread!

Patsyk said...

Yum! Can I have a piece for breakfast and pretend it's banana bread? ;)

RecipeGirl said...

Delicious! I personally love that thick layer of cream cheese frosting best!!

Anonymous said...

I love cream cheese frosting and banana cake, great combo! Yours looks so delicious!

Maria said...

I love banana cakes! The frosting looks oh so good too~

Anonymous said...

I love having ripe banana recipes on file! Thanks!

Emily

Anne Coleman said...

I LOVE banana cake! I was waiting for photos so I could see the butterflies :) Really cute!

Thistlemoon said...

I really love the butterflies! :)

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

This is wrong on so many levels!! OMG what are you trying to do to my waistline!! Looks incredible!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Anything with a cream cheese icing has to be good:D

Unknown said...

and since it's fruity it must be good for us! SCORE!!!

Anonymous said...

Great looking banana cake!

Elle said...

Oh, so good looking! I love anything made with bananas!

Ivy said...

Looks lovely and moist.

Anonymous said...

Always nice when you don't have to do extra shopping to make something. Looks great!

Peter M said...

This past holidays, I had a similar cake that was like a carrot cake but banana flavoured w/ the cream cheese icing like this. You make me want it NOW!

Anonymous said...

I'm always spreading my banana bread with lots of cream cheese, so this recipe is right up my alley. Beaitifully done and mouth watering!

glamah16 said...

This has to be one of my favorite cakes esp with the cream cheese frosting.

Anonymous said...

yumm! that looks delicious!

Sandy Smith said...

Those butterfly sprinkles are awesome. And I love me a cake with an equal proportion of cake to frosting. Yuh-um.

The Duo Dishes said...

Totally good!

test it comm said...

That banana cake looks so good! I like the thick layer of cream cheese frosting.

Anonymous said...

I do not like bananas much, but enjoy cooking especially food cake. Meetings not very good that this will taste like
I will write again on his blog about this subject when completed
Thanks

Coca Cola Cake said...

Nice More Cake recipe guys....

Laura Young said...

Thank you for posting this recipe - I'm adding it to my favorites. Very easy to whip up for a weekday cake. I added a teaspoon of cinnamon to the frosting and it was amazing. Instead of the butterfly sprinkles (which are SO cute but not available here locally) I used some chopped walnuts. YUM! Tastes even better refrigerated the next day.