Sunday, February 24, 2008

Hamburgesa Mexicana with fresh Pico de Gallo!

Hamburgesa Mexicana with avocado, pico de gallo, pan fried potatoes and tortilla chips!


Yesterday was one of those marathon days of shopping...Car shopping that it. I hate car shopping. It is such a guy thing. My lease is coming up in April and I mentioned that I might be interested in a car. Big mistake and imagine trying to do this with 2 children with you!!!

Any way for dinner all I ended up doing was roasting a chicken (so I could make soup today) and serving it with wilted spinach and shitake mushrooms. Pretty easy and sensible dinner! Friday's dinner was much more fun.

I made what Ben at What's Cooking? calls a Hamburgesa Mexicana, and boy were they ever good! I made them using ground beef instead of turkey and I used canned refried beans (egad!!! I just ran out of time!!!) and instead of parsley I used cilantro. Why? Because I love it and will try and put it in anything!!! T. thought these were incredible. I loved the flavor of them and that they were a nice quick meal that everyone loved! The girls ate theirs in tortillas and we just ate them with avocado, some homemade Pico de Gallo, and pan fried potatoes. What a great end of the week meal!

Hamburgesa Mexicana


Printable version
Makes 6-8 patties
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Method: Fry

For this recipe you will need:

  • 1 lb ground turkey (I used lean, free range, natural ground beef)
  • 1 cup refried beans (Jerry has an amazing recipe here)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 jalapeno, veined, seeded and finely chopped
  • 2 TBSP parsley, finely chopped (I used cilantro)
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 2/3 cup onion, chopped
  • ¼ cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • salt
  • black ground pepper
  • vegetable oil

Preparation:

  1. In a large bowl mix all ingredients together, except oil, until well blended.
  2. Heat oil in a large heavy skillet.
  3. With a serving spoon drop some of the mixture on the skillet and with a spatula form a patty.
  4. Cook each side for 10 minutes.
I also made my own Pico de Gallo
Ingredients for Pico de Gallo
Fresh Pico de Gallo
I don't measure this but make it to taste:

cilantro
tomato
jalapeno
onion
lime
salt
pepper
garlic powder
Chopped Cilantro for Pico de Gallo and the Hamburgesa Mexicana's

Nice ripe avocado to put on the burger

Would I make this again? Most definately...It was a great, fresh tatsing recipe and I can't wait to try those stuffed zucchini's!

As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

5 comments:

Peter M said...

Ben has been cookin' up some great stuff, as evidenced by this Hamburguesa (luv the name too).

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I saw this recipe on Ben's site as well. It was a hard decision to find just one recipe on his site that I could make as we were paired in the Taste & Create event.

Danni said...

I've GOT to stop reading your posts at night before going to bed. I'm always hungry now when I'm trying to fall asleep! :-)

Susan @ SGCC said...

Hi,Judy- This looks awesome! My family would go nuts over it.

By the way, I've tagged you for a meme. Hope you don't mind.

http://stickygooeycreamychewy.blogspot.com/2008/02/its-raining-memes.html

Frantic Home Cook said...

That Pico de gallo looks awesome!!