Monday, January 21, 2008

Oven Roasted Beets


I was so excited to get my big box of produce yesterday and couldn't wait to get cooking! Unfortunately with as busy as we are I had to wait until this afternoon. Tonight was a karate night so I made the beets this afternoon and figured I would just heat them later. A couple of days ago I was looking at another blog The Left-Over Queen and Jenn had made a roasted beet salad. I so wanted to try it! But due to a cold snap last week the tops of the beets were a little messed up so I decided just to skip that part and just roast them following her directions. I ended up serving them at room temperature as a side to the pot roast that we were having. I can honestly tell you that these were the best beets that I have ever had! I don't know if it was the roasting in olive oil or the freshness of the beets but they were delicious. I was actually sad that I had only bought one bunch...guess I have an excuse to go back now!

Oven Roasted Beets (from Jenn the Left-Over Queen - Roasted Beet and Beet Greens salad)

4 fresh beets
1 Tbs Olive Oil
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 425 F. Wash and trim beets, leaving their skins on.

Line a cookie sheet with tin foil. Place beets on cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with rosemary, thyme, salt & pepper. Shake cookie sheet so that beets get coated with oil and spices. Place in the preheated oven and roast for 45 minutes or until beets are fork tender.

Take beets out of the oven and peel skins off. Note: If you care about your nails, which some people do, wear gloves, or you will have red dye under your nails for days afterwards. Do not run under water as it will wash away a lot of flavor.

Cut into quarters. Drizzle with good extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper.

We left these at room temperature and ended up serving them this way and they were absolutely amazing! I think the balsamic made this as well so don't skip this part!

Thanks for another great one Jenn!

As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

2 comments:

Thistlemoon said...

YAY Judy!!! I am so glad that you loved the beets! That makes me so extremely happy.

Invisible Work said...

Thanks for this great recipe! I found this high up on my google search, which makes me guess many people like it, but they don't write comments.