Sunday, January 20, 2008

Look at what I found!


What a great find huh? I guess after reading so many blogs with people trying to get their hands on the freshest and the best produce available and trying to eat seasonally and all I see them coming up with are root vegetables I decided to go on my own hunt! Not that there is anything bad about root vegetables and if you live up north you really don't have too many other options. But I don't live up north. I live in South Florida and this is our growing season.

Check out this big box of produce that I got at a local U-Pick farm!!! I was so excited. I got Fancy Italian eggplant, zucchini, sweet onions, fresh picked garlic, strawberries, star fruit, beets (small though), broccoli, tomatoes and jalapeño peppers! Now I just have to come up with some great recipes using what I have. Shouldn't be too hard so check back to see the latest!

Another thing that was really great was being able to show the girls where the food came from. We have always had a garden and grow tomatoes every year but for some reason we missed planting time this year. I guess too busy with other things, what a shame. Anyway it was way too cold for us to be doing any picking but we took a walk back into the fields and were able to point out a couple of things that were ripe for the picking...cauliflower, corn that was getting close and brussel sprouts sticking up on their poles! What a great thing.

As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

4 comments:

Thistlemoon said...

Oh yeah, Judy! This is great! It is photos like this that make me happy to be living in Florida, too!
Can't wait to see what you cook up with that box of yummies!

Anonymous said...

The fresh produce looks wonderful, Judy. Makes me want to move a little further south. Stopped by to write down the sunshine citrus chicken recipe. Plan on cooking it tonight. It will be broiled though, too cold for grilling today here. Thanks

Anonymous said...

I have been having luck with fresh food at the asian market. I guess a lot is in season in asia and they are somehow getting it here for us in the states. Some of the items I am unsure about cooking, but the wonderful ladies at the store always have helpful advice.

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Jenn-I am excited too!

GA-Farmgirl -Let me know how you like the citrus marinade. You guys have the best of both worlds. Much longer growing season and larger variety!

Teeth Whitening-We don't have too many Asian markets here so I guess I'll have to stick with the U-Pick!