Thursday, May 29, 2008

Tomato and Green Bean Salad

Looks like summer huh?

Last night for dinner we were just going to have burgers and a tomato salad but as I was cleaning out my fridge yesterday I found some green beans that I had forgotten about in the crisper. I had bought them over the weekend so they were still in great shape. I decided to make a simple salad using my garden fresh tomatoes. This salad turned out great. I had seen it years ago in one of the food magazines but can not for the life of me remember which one! Seeing as I didn't have a recipe to follow I just went by memory and taste. Everyone loved this and it tasted just like summer to me!

Tomato and Green Bean Salad


1 box or bag of green beans (however you get them at the market), trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
3 lg tomatoes, chopped and seeded
1/3 cup olive oil (I think I would use less next time)
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
4 garlic clove, chopped fine (use more or less depending on taste)
1 Tbsp fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
  • Cook the beans in boiling water for 3 - 5 minutes or until tender crisp. Drain and transfer to an ice bath. Once shilled drain them well and place in a large bowl.
  • Mix the remaining ingredients in a small bowl and stir into the beans.
  • This can be served immediately or chilled in the fridge until ready to serve.

Fresh tomatoes for the salad

Basil is getting a little leggy so I think it is just about done! It is getting way too hot and dry here to grow anything!

As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

8 comments:

Peter M said...

Judy, did you make that or does your pool staff also take care of cooking duties? lol

I know how you feel, when it gets too hot, KISS principle rules.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I love the salad with all your fresh garden ingredients...but Peter I need to know what the KISS principle is?

Anonymous said...

I know that all type of salad are so helpful for our health.Its helpful for weight loss too.

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Oh Peter - I wish...kinda hard to get good help here!

Hi Val-the salad was great. KISS = keep it simple silly.

Thanks Private!

Heather said...

What a gorgeous variety of basil you have! It's still too cold to grow basil, and my tomatoes won't even bloom for another month. >:(

Anonymous said...

This looks great. I'm not sure why green beans and tomatoes go so well together, but they do!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

hey Heather - its too hot here now to grow anything! I have to keep moving my stuff every where!

Thanks Fearless. It was wierd and I really wasn't sure what to put in the dressing! This worked out great though!

Anonymous said...

The salad sounds delish! I have been using pumpkin seed oil to dress my salads and veggies for the last few years. It looks like heavy motor oil, but has a wonderful nutty flavor. It is also good for the prostate (guy stuff!)