Thursday, May 8, 2008

Do you like what I'm wearing?

After almost 250 posts on this blog I am officially very tired of the color orange! I have changed my template to a very nice, but boring white and I am so much happier! I still have some work to do on it. I would like to figure out how to put a picture on it and all but that will have to wait...to many other things going on!

I also received an award today from Val at More than Burnt Toast. Val is a fellow Canadian who lives on the West Coast of Canada in British Columbia. She is probably one of the most supportive bloggers you will ever find. If you have a cause to support through blogging Val is your girl! Her recipes are bright and creative with excellent photography. Thanks again Val! Now the one thing that I have to do is to pass this on to 5 more bloggers that "make my day"! Should be easy right...not a chance. I visit anywhere from 20 to 30 blogs a day! Usually when I am waiting for the girls after school and killing my iPhone battery but this makes it very hard. Here are my 5 but please if your name is not there you still "make my day"! The only rules you guys have is that you need to pass it on to 5 more bloggers.

In no particular order:

Peter of Kalofagas - Greek Food and Beyond. Peter has become a great source of inspiration for my daily meals and boy does that come in handy. I hope to be able to meet up with him when I am in Toronto this summer.

Robin at Caviar to Codfish because I really related to how her blog has evolved. You may remember her as The Clumsy Cook but seeing as she was no longer that she changed her profile.

Jenn - The Leftover Queen for her friendship, inspiration and support! You really do make my day!

Heather of Gild the Voodoolily for just being herself and never trying to please anyone other that herself with what she does. Also she just plain and simple makes me laugh!

And last but not least Pam from Life on A Southern Farm - she has an incredible blog about life on a...did you get that...Southern Farm. It is about her past and her present with nice reflections and pictures that take me away to a much more calm and peaceful life. I like that!

Now onto something completely different. I have received quite a few comments about my girls not liking muffins. Yep I do agree that it is very weird but also a very positive thing for them. I have always been a little worried that they would develop really incredible sweet tooth because of the way that we have raised them. Some insight into this...my children eat a very small amount of prepared and pre-packaged food.

We do not have anything in our house that contains High Fructose Corn Syrup (sweetener of choice for almost all foods), they do not eat store bought treats except on rare occasions when we are out. Now what they do get though is cake, muffins, cookies, pudding, yogurt etc that is all homemade. As long as I can control what goes into their food they can have it. I think that what the food industry has done to our food is just incredible and I am doing everything that I can to keep it out of them! The common theory though is that when you deprive your child of something like sweets when you are not there they will do anything they can to get it. I guess I am proving that this is not the case and I can't tell you how happy I am about this!


I also think that children can be a great help in the kitchen and that this will help reinforce the eating choices that they make growing up. Last night I decided to give my 7 year old some lessons in knife wielding and all I can say is that we got to spend some nice time together and she still has all of her fingers!!! I had her cut of the lettuce for my salad and she had a blast...felt like a big girl and all. Do they ever grow up too fast!!!

As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

10 comments:

Peter M said...

Judy, you now, in turn, have made my day!

I know that you are surrounded by great food and I'm giddy like a boy with his first Playboy! lol

The invite stands when you come up to Toronto and THANK YOU!

Thistlemoon said...

Thanks so much Judy! You are so wonderful! I appreciate this more than you know! :)

I love that you are teaching your daughter how to use a knife. She will be a huge help to you in the future, I am sure!

kellypea said...

The white looks nice. I'm forever messing around with my non-food blog, so completely understand. Have fun with it!

As far as store food and homemade food and kids go, I agree. A funny thing happens on the way to teenagedom, however. Around middle school, I began buying the store bought treats -- the less disgusting ones...just so he wouldn't make an issue of it, and you know? He favors the homemade stuff. He still eats packaged things for school lunch, but when he gets home, it's real food he goes for.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Judy, you've really made MY day.

And I love the white. I think clean, easy on the eyes blogs are my favorite... they are so pleasant to read.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Judy, you always make my day with your kind comments.
I like the white background too. It makes everything look crisp and clean.
Your daughter done very well with her lesson there. Good job!
I like the way you have control over what they eat too. Good job for you!
Have a good day.

Heather said...

Thanks, Judy! Sorry, I've been out of town all day and just saw this.

I'm so glad to see your little girl wielding a big old knife with such skill and grace! I wish my mom would've let me try once in awhile when I was a kid.

glamah16 said...

Just make sure Peter dresses appropiatley when you vist.:_)
Your kids are so smart with the ating so you wont have to worry.

RecipeGirl said...

Congrats to you for your award!

Kudos for keeping all of that store-bought stuff out of your house. I try to make homemade stuff for my kiddo as much as possible. Occasionally though I pick up something with evil ingredients. Maybe your post will get me thinking more about it!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Thank you for all your kind words Judy. It really is a pleasure to stop by your post every chance I get. My daughter had very little junk food, prefered veggies and spanakopita to hot dogs and cake. It is all in what is available to them, but I also think we are very lucky!!!!!! My daughter is now 21 and becoming a dietician so hang in there mom and keep them helping out in the kitchen:D

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Peter-Thanks so much and I will certainly try!

Jenn-You are welcome. We have spoken before about how important it is to teach the kids when they are young about good healthy food. I hope by teaching her to cook this brings it all one step closer!

Kelly-That is good to know about your son. I am always curious about what works.

Robin-Thanks for the blog insight! I am still working on it.

Pam-You are welcome. I really hesitate to use the word "control" but that really is what I am doing!

Heather-You are so welcome. This is just one more way I can multi-task. I get to make dinner with her while she has to spend time with me!

Glamah-Yep he will have to be on his best behavior and no funky T's! I hope I am doing right by the girls! Time will tell won't it?

Recipe Girl-I will still at times pick up store bought stuff but never with HFCS or artificial sweeteners! The love the Cheezit Party Mix. Yep it has a thousand ingredients but not the real bad ones!

Val-Thanks Val...I need to hear stories like that. I hope they will make the right choices when it is time. My Mom instilled all of this in us. You folks in Canada also don't have to real with the HFCS as much as we do here.