Monday, October 13, 2008

Jalapeño Poppers finally...

Jalapeño Poppers

I have been wanting jalapeño poppers for a while now. Every time somebody mentioned peppers or I saw jalapeños it was all I could think about. I wanted the yummy ones that we used to be able to get in the bars. Filled with piping hot cream cheese and just a little zing of hot pepper. These were way better than that.

Sunday was a pretty lazy day. We had set aside the morning to finally get our garden in. I am really hoping that we aren't too late but we'll see. We planted a variety of tomatoes and some zucchini, peas, arugula, basil, parsley, oregano, cilantro and just for fun some sun flower seeds. Every year I swear I will keep a diary of what works and what doesn't but I never, ever do. When will I ever learn...

Doesn't look like much yet but just you wait and see...
It was after that when I decided that we were having poppers for lunch. After hunting around on the internet for that perfect sounding recipe I decided that I liked what was in my head a bit better.


Jalapeño Poppers

Ingredients:

2 packages (8 oz) of cream cheese, softened
1 cup of cheddar cheese, grated
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
12 jalapenos, split lengthwise, seeds and membrane removed
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1 box panko breading

Directions:
  1. In a medium bowl, mix the cream cheese, and cheddar cheese Spoon this mixture into the jalapeño pepper halves.
  2. Mix the flour with the black pepper, salt, paprika and garlic powder
  3. Put the milk and flour mix into two separate small bowls. Dip the stuffed jalapeños first into the milk then into the flour, making sure they are well coated with each. Allow the coated jalapeños to dry for about 10 minutes.
  4. Dip the jalapeños in milk again and roll them through the breadcrumbs. Allow them to dry, then repeat to ensure the entire surface of the jalapeño is coated.
  5. Place in the freezer to chill for about 20 minutes before frying.
  6. In a deep pot, heat the oil to 365 degrees F ( 180 degrees C). Deep fry the coated jalapeños 2 to 3 minutes each, until golden brown. Remove and let drain on a paper towel.
As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

29 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

These sound delicious Judy. It's nice to have a special lunch:D

LuckyMe said...

Yum! You are ambitious. Did you make extra and store them in the freezer for your next craving?

Stop by for some pumpkin bread.

Núria said...

How fantastic that you can have your own garden Judy!!! Will you show us the plants when they are a bit grown?

Could I have a tapa of those Jalapeños please?

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hi Val-It was really nice and something the girls wouldn't eat at all!

Hey luckyme-yes I did freeze some extra.

Hey Nuria-I will keep you all posted on the gardens progress!

Patsyk said...

My hubby would devour those! He loves the kick from the poppers!

Peter M said...

Way 'ta go Judy, they look fab with the Panko. Also, the creamed cheese is needed to bind the cheddar I found...now I want mo'!

Claudette Au Lait said...

HI! Pardon my ignorance but can you plant vegetables in October? That would be so cool! Let me know and I will be sure to start mine! Unless you are like in Australia or Argentina...

Claudette Au Lait said...

I just realized. You are in Australia! lol me...

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hi Patsyk-These were nice and kicky!

Hey Peter-The Panko made such a great crust on them and I loved the cream cheese and cheddar mixed!

Hi Claudette-I am in SW Florida and our weather is almost a carbon copy of Australias. I think Brisbane is even the same zone as us!

Anonymous said...

I love jalapeno poppers and those look better than anything I've ever had in a bar! Yum!

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

You go girl!!! Wow these look so great - I love that you use Panko as I just discovered those last year and they are so wonderful to cook with !!

Coach J said...

These sound soooo stinkin' good! Unfortunately, I may be too lazy to make them myself. However, I did make your banana muffins the other night and they were delish. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I'm loving the "bite" shot. I don't think mine look that good and I definitely didn't get a bite shot. You are totally quick w/ your posts. Impressive. I've got a line that would rival planes waiting to land at LAX!

NuKiwi said...

Oh, what I'd give for just one right now...I do miss some comforts from home. :o(

Brittany said...

I'll take a giant pile of them with a beer please.

Mike of Mike's Table said...

This is some of my favorite finger food and they look excellent. I tried doing something like this once before, but I didn't have a lot of luck deep frying. I'll have to try this approach out!

Anonymous said...

Judy

sounds great ... I want your poppers ... lol!

Denise
http://WineFoodPairing.blogspot.com

Aggie said...

Oh, can I have one please? I love love love jalapeno poppers!! Yours look so delicious!

Melissa said...

YES PLEASE.

test it comm said...

Those poppers look great! They are perfectly golden brown.

Kat said...

I finally got around to making the jalapeno poppers for game day here in Alabama, and to my surprise, they were a huge hit. I for one, do not like HOT stuff, but the one bite I took of the pepper set my mouth on fire, I am a woose, haha.
But I scooped the delicious stuffing out and the coating and it was delicious. The went like hot cakes, and now I have committed to making them again. :)
thanks.

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Wow Kat! I am so glad that everyone liked them. They were really good!

The Insane Writer said...

Yummy! My hubby isn't a fan of cream cheese however, so I though I would use a different type of cheese instead.

Andrea Meyers said...

Yum, a delicious appetizer or lunch! Did you get many peppers in your garden?

Tawny Dunbar said...

I am about to try this recipe, I wanted to make jalepeno poppers, so I bought some fresh jalepenos the other day, but needed to still look up a good recipe. I planned on having to go back out to the store to get all the other ingredients, but luckily, I have all the other stuff I need. That's awesome!

Anyways, I haven't finished 1 of the 1st steps, which is to cut & clean the peppers. I just wanted to let those of you (us) that have never dealt with jalepenos...BEWARE!!! When your cleaning & cutting these peppers...DO NOT TOUCH YOUR MOUTH, EYES OR ANY OTHER part of your body for that matter...IT WILL BURN LIKE YOU'VE NEEEVVVEEERRR FELT A BURN BEFORE. Even if you love hot sauce...I'm warning you.
I am still feeling the burn on the outside of my lips & it's been about 15 minutes! Not kidding~ Tawny Dunbar

seth said...

This is a great recipe, but I am not sure what to do with all the ingredients, are the instructions complete? They are great without all the ingredients, just wondering?

Ronda said...

Summer is around the corner and I always have more peppers than I know what to do with. You can only can so many in jars before you want something new. This recipe looks like something I will be trying and freezing. Have you ever baked them instead of frying? I tend to stay away from frying anything so I am going to try baking them first and will let you know how they turn out. Thanks for sharing I look forward to biting into this recipe.

Unknown said...

I am in the process of making these poppers, which look delicious by the way. Bout to take out of freezer and create some deep fried goodness. Thanks for the post, I will let you know how my version turned out.

Danny
San Diego, CA

Anonymous said...

I am looking at your delicious recipe for poppers, but in the directions you say add the bacon bits, but there are no bacon bits in the list of ingredients, how much bacon bits?

Thanks
Rose
Tucson