Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Freezing Peppers

Beautiful organic green peppers!

On Saturday before T. and I went away I had him make a pit stop for me to a new Farmer's Market that I had just heard about at Cape Harbour. I am really getting tired of the same old thing that I see at all of the markets around here right now, produce from anywhere but here. Asparagus from Peru, potatoes from Argentina, tomatoes from who knows where. I guess you get my point.

But this one was different!!! I was able to talk to the man who owned the stand and he had a ton of organic produce. We started talking and I was able to find out that he has a friend who has a farm in Labelle, which is north of here, and another friend who has an organic farm in Georgia that he meets up with weekly to get his produce. This was really great info for me seeing as I have been struggling trying to get some fresh produce. Granted this isn't the perfect situation as it really screws up the "local factor" but you know what...sometimes you just have got to bite the big one and look out for yourself.

Here is where it gets really cool. It was getting late and the market closed at 1 so he asked me what I was really looking for. I told him the herbs and stuff that I wanted and then I mentioned that I would like to get a bunch of bulk things that I can freeze for summer use. Get this...he sold be a WHOLE FRICKIN' CASE OF ORGANIC BELL PEPPERS FOR $18.00!!!!

That's a ton of peppers huh?

So last night T. and I cleaned them all up and cut them in half and ripped out the membrane and the seeds and plopped them in the freezer. Peppers freeze great and we can use them a million different ways. So be prepared for many recipes with pepper as a main ingredient!!!

Ignore my rusted out pans. These are only used for freezing things and on top of that EVERYTHING rusts in Florida!!!
These trays get places in my chest freezer and then bagged in freezer bags all ready to be used!

As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

6 comments:

Núria said...

Hey Judy! I'm so happy you finally found organic veggies and a Market you like :D That's great news!!!! Your peppers look fantastic!!! I wonder how much this would cost here in Barcelona... never bought organic before... if I find out, I'll let you know.

glamah16 said...

Great buy. I see omlettes, tomato sauce, beef and peppers, chicken and peppers, fish and peppers, soups, salads,Fajitas, stir frys........

toontz said...

Aren’t bell peppers one of the most beautiful things in the world?

grace said...

you lucky lady, you!

don't tell anyone, but i had no idea that peppers freeze well. (i guess i always devour them before they can get to that point.) thanks for the eye-opener!

Mike of Mike's Table said...

That's quite a bounty! I had dreams of having a supply of peppers like that when I tried to grow my own red bell peppers (and that would certainly be very local!). I've averaged about 1 teeny tiny pepper a year, lol, after which, the plant would die.

Lunch Buckets said...

Nice find! I'm certainly infatuated lately with idea of local eating, but the fact remains that we live in the middle of a freakin' desert and there's only so much local squash and carrots I can (want!) to eat.