Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Super Cereal


A couple of weeks ago I noticed a new product that was showing up in the juice section of the supermarket. I am always looking for pure, fresh, all-natural food and this caught my eye! Tropicana Pure. It is being touted as the next generation of juices. Well whatever. Don't they all make the same claims? Generally I like to juice my own juices but I bought some of this.

Tropicana Pure 100% Juice-Raspberry and Acai.

Now we've all heard about the benefits of Acai by now. I actually like the flavor that it adds to juices that it is mixed with.

I came up with this to try and find something for the girls to help get them to eat a better breakfast. They loved this and I will be making it again and again!!!

Breakfast Quinoa – Super Cereal (serves 4)

Ingredients:

1 Cup of Tropicana Pure 100% Juice Raspberry and Acai

1 Cup of Water

1 Cup of Quinoa (rinsed)

2 Cups of fresh raspberries

½ tsp ground cardamom

¼ tsp cinnamon

1/3 Cup chopped walnuts

Honey as a sweetener

Directions:

· Combine the Tropicana Pure 100% Juice, water and quinoa in a medium sized sauce pan. Bring to a boil.

· Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.

· Turn off the heat and let stand for about 5 minutes.

· Stir in the cardamom, cinnamon and raspberries.

· This makes 4 servings. Top each serving with some walnuts and drizzle honey to taste.

6 comments:

reliv4life said...

We are big quinoa fans at our house - I will have to try this when I get home. In fact, I would like to try many of the recipes you have when I get home. That is the drawback to vacations - all the eating out! NOT that I am complaining about vacationing - I am just saying...

Nina Timm said...

Hi, I read on in a comment that you left on Nicki's site that you picked some avocados so I assume that you have a tree. We also have a avo tree - huge and fruit in abundance. My problem is "When do I pick them?" If I pick them too early they never really ripen and if I leave them for longer....the birds get hold of them. I will take any advice I can get, please!!!

Brittany said...

This s very interesting to me, because I despise cereal, but it is more the liquid soupy-ness I dislike...so this may totally work for me!

Dharm said...

Dont know what Quinoa is...but the recipe sounds just great. Was this one of your planned articles for the secret project??!! LOL

Laura Paterson said...

Oooh, I'm quite excited by this as have only recently discovered quinoa - and love it!

Am thinking it would be perfect for winter - I'll make it at home, put in in a thermos, and have it to heat me up when I get to work!!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hi reliv4life-Lucky you being on vacation! Enjoy!

Hi Nina-I wish I could help you but this is my first year. I just picked them and hope they will ripen. I heard something about a paper bag helping them on their way?

Hey Brittany-This was more in the oatmeal type family. You'll like it!

Hey Dharm-You know it is!

Hi Kittie-What's not to love about quinoa??? What a great idea! Maybe keep the berries separate and add them when you get to work.