Thursday, August 21, 2008

Homemade Super Rich Chocolate Brownies

See this picture the brownie almost has a heavenly glow to it! Well deserved too!

Way, way back in April (seems like a lifetime ago doesn't it?) I spotted these brownies on Bake or Break-Adventures of an Amateur Baker. They looked so good and I knew that one day I would need them so I saved the recipe! I am so glad that I did because Tuesday was just that type of day. We had the girls home from school for a Hurricane Day (yep...up north you have snow days and here we have hurricane days???!!!). Luckily it was nothing to worry about but it sure was a long day!

Late in the afternoon, after we had polished of a bag of potato chips while playing a game of Monopoly Jr. (which I won), I decided we needed something with more sustenance than chips. I sought out my brownie recipe and went to give it a whirl!

These were so delicious. Rich, fudgy, chocolaty brownies. Now I am one of those strange people who has no preference as to how my brownie should be. Cakey or fudgey, who cares? Bring on the chocolate!!!

I made several changes to these because of what I had on hand. I had no semi sweet chocolate so I used some bittersweet chips that I had. I also used 1/2 cup of AP Flour and 1/4 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour. I may have needed to add another egg after the flour swap but these were incredible!

Recipe from Martha Stewart’s Cookies.

  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for pan
  • 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350°. Butter an 8″square baking pan. Line pan with parchment paper, leaving 2 inches hanging over the sides. Butter parchment paper.

In a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, stir together butter, chocolate, and cocoa powder. Set aside to cool slightly.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

Combine sugar, eggs, and vanilla using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale, about 4 minutes. Add chocolate mixture and mix until combined. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture, mixing until combined.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Spread evenly with spatula. Bake about 35 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out with a few crumbs but is not wet. Let cool in pan about 15 minutes.

Lift brownies out of pan. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into squares.



As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

9 comments:

Laura Paterson said...

Ah - you might not care... but I do - so which was it Judy - cakey or fudgy?? ;)

Glad your hurricane day was uneventful. Chocolate/ potato chips and monopoly sound just about right for it!!

Heather said...

I can never decide between cakey and fudgy. Frankly, I don't think anyone should have to.

Good thing that hurricane went the other way.

Reeni said...

I love the fudgey brownies! These look so chocolatey and delicious! Yum!

Thistlemoon said...

Those look great Judy! I am kind of feeling like making some kind of baked good right about now! Our Hurricane Day is today (and tomorrow)!

Mike of Mike's Table said...

This looks spectacular. I've had brownies on my mind all week...and now this!

And speaking of hurricanes...it seems that after it tickling my area for a little bit each day, its finally here. Looks like a wet and windy ride home today!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Oh Kittie, they were really fudgy!

Hey Heather, I'm with you on not having to decide. I just here people say all time that they like one or the other!

Hi reeni-They were delicious!

Hi Jenn-You get 2 Hurricane Day's???!!! Wow. I would have to make more brownies!!!

Hi Mike-Try these they are delicious! We have still been getting wet and windy weather. That thing just doesn't seem to want to go!

Anonymous said...

These brownies look good!

Susan @ SGCC said...

Oh boy! There's nothing like a good old, fudgy, homemade brownie! These look positively decadent! They make my granola cookies look like sawdust! ;)

Jeanine - The Baking Beauties said...

Mmm...those brownies look fantastic! I'm with you, cakey or fudgey doesn't matter at all, just that it contain chocolate! :)