Friday, October 10, 2008

Baking for Breast Cancer Awareness...

Ley over at Cilantro and Lime is hosting this event to help raise awareness for Breast Cancer. October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and I think it is something that we all need to become more aware of. If you have not loss someone close to you to this horrible disease you are definitely in the minority. Each year it is estimated that nearly 200,000 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer and more than 40,000 will die. Approximately 1,700 men will also be diagnosed with breast cancer and 450 will die each year. The evaluation of men with breast masses is similar to that in women, including mammography.

The best defense for breast cancer is early detection so give yourself a breast self-exam at least once a month. Look for any changes in breast tissue, such as changes in size, a lump, dimpling or puckering of the breast, or a discharge from the nipple. If you discover a persistent lump in your breast or any changes in breast tissue, it is very important that you see a physician immediately. However, 8 out of 10 lumps are benign, or not cancerous.

In honor of this great event I baked Chocolate Cupcakes with Cream Cheese/Chocolate Chip Filling.


These were so good and so easy to make. It took me less time to make these than it does to make a cake!!! Ridiculously simple. Have I mentioned these were good? When I ate my first one it was still warm and gooey from the oven and then about 10 minutes later I ate the second one (it was sacrificial, all in the name of a good photo which didn't turn out so great!) they were even better. They were so rich. I was going to frost them with some pink icing in honor of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month but after tasting one I realized that would be total overkill! I got out the lovely pink tulle and shot away!! I can't wait for the girls to taste these...they will love them!


Chocolate Cupcakes with Cream Cheese/Chocolate Chip Filling.
Ingredients:

Cupcakes:
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. baking cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. water
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1 Tbs. white vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla

Filling:
1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1/3 c. sugar
1 egg
1/8 tsp. salt
1 c. bittersweet chocolate chips (you can use whatever you like but I like bittersweet)

Directions:

In a bowl, beat cream cheese. Add sugar, egg, salt. Mix well. Fold in chips. Set aside. For cupcakes, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Add water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Mix well. Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full with batter. Top each with 1 Tbs. of cream cheese mixture and then top with more chocolate batter to cover the cream cheese. Bake at 350º for 25-30 minutes. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pan. This makes 12



I did have some cream cheese mixture left over. Haven't really decided what to make with that but whatever it is I bet it will be delicious!!!

Go on over to Ley's blog and bake something to help promote October as National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

As Always...

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

14 comments:

Thistlemoon said...

Those look absolutely DELICIOUS Judy! YUMMMMMMM! I wanna bite!

Jen said...

These would be a HUGE hit in our house. Think I'm gonna have to try them. And I love this Baking for Breast Cancer event. It's so important.

ley said...

What should you make with the extra?? Uhhhmmm I would just eat that cream cheese mixture on it's own. Right now. lol! These look sooo good! Thank you so much for participating! And I love that you included so much information about the disease in your post...thank you! :D

Patsyk said...

Those cupcakes look so wonderful. Perfect for the baking for breast cancer event.

Peter M said...

Ahh, you sneaky gal...putting the icing inside the cupcake!

I'm waiting to see what you did with the extra filling.

Anonymous said...

yeah it look so delicious

Unknown said...

Ooohhh - looks like they would be great when still warm out of the oven. Thanks for sharing!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Thanks Jenn-you know I would share!

Hey Jen-It is a great event!

Hi Ley-Still haven't decided but they were really good. Love this event.

Hi Patsyk-They were wonderful!

Hey Peter-always looking for the fastest and easiest way to get it done huh? I have some ideas!

Thanks xhtml coding!

Hi valleywriter-They were great fresh out of the oven and every time I ate one after that!

Aggie said...

oh YUM!! I am loving these!

Wonderful post and a great reminder to self exam!

Anonymous said...

these sound (and look!) absolutely delicious. i did some baking of my own to raise breast cancer awareness this weekend: sugar cookies in the shape of the pink ribbon :)

Emily said...

Lovely cupcakes!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This is a very important issue Judy. These cupcakes are perfect handheld little treats for Leys event:D

Anonymous said...

these are perfect considering oct 18th is chocolate cupcake day :]

Núria said...

I would love to see your girls faces while eating these "madalenas" that's how we call them here ;D.
Great treat for a great Event!