Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Best of 2008...

I debated whether or not I should do this and in the end decided that I wanted to show case my top 10 favorite recipes from the past year! These are my favorites. Not necessarily the most popular ones but ones that I really loved and have made over and over again and have become family favorites. It was also really fun to look back and see how my blog has evolved in the year and half (411 posts) that I have been blogging.

Hope you enjoy...

Souvlaki

I found this perfect recipe for Souvlaki on my good friend Peter's blog Kalofagas-Greek Food and Beyond. Not only is this an incredible recipe but through the year Peter has become a very good friend of mine. When I was on vacation over the summer Peter very graciously took me and my family on a whirl wind tour of my hometown through his eyes. Great person, great friend and incredible blog!!!

Lemon Chicken Scaloppini

This has become one of my families favorite meals. Served with rice the sauce is perfect for it. It is a perfect balance of sour and savory. Love this dish! Thanks The Food Channel!

Greek Stuffed Peppers

This was another recipe of Peter's from Kalofagas-Greek Food and Beyond. I was very hesitant to try this one as it has mint and dill in it. 2 things T. hates but I went ahead and everyone loved it!!! Even my tomato hater!

Pomegranate Lemon Bars

These came to be with a pomegranate that had been tagged for something else that I never got around to making. Oldest daughter was home sick and I thought this would make for a nice treat for her. Turned out wonderful and can't wait to make these again! I also needed to make something for some pics that I needed taken for an interview that I did with the fine folks at Capessa.com. Jo from the Adventures of Kitchen Girl has the links embedded in a great post she wrote about me!!! Thanks again Jo!

Pasta with Squash and Prawns

This is an incredible recipe that is nothing like you wold expect it to be. It is made with butternut squash as the sauce! We eat this quite regularly as it is one of my favorite ways to eat squash!!!

Sunshine Citrus Marinade

This is a very, quick and flavorful marinade to help you jazz up that mid week grilled or broiled chicken. It is one of my most searched recipes and is one that I keep coming back to again and again.

Homemade Fig Preserves over Brie

This was a surprise hit. I had been to Whole Foods and had sampled their version of Fig Preserves over Brie. I figured I could make it myself. Guess what? I did and it was really, really good!!!

Beer Battered Squash Blossoms

I had never had squash blossoms so this was a huge treat for me. I loved them. These a zucchini blossoms which are the easiest to get. All you do it clean them up and whip up this real simple beer batter and fry them gently and munch away! We all love these!

Split Pea Soup (vegetarian)

My family is filled with pretty hard core omnivores with meat playing a very strong role in the diet. Over the past year this has changed...a lot! One of the ways that I did this was to make the vegetables the main attraction of the meal. I have also incorporated many vegetarian dishes into our meals. This one for Split Pea Soup is one of our favorites and most requested from all of them! I found this on Heidi Swanson's Blog - 101 Cookbooks

And last but not least...

Homemade HOT Sauce


I made this for T. for his Christmas gift this year. I had no idea when I made it what a huge success it would be. He loved it and I loved the fact that I could play around with the recipe of he didn't like it. Adjust the vinegar to make is less so, add more or less heat. Possibilities are endless. I go this recipe from Caron's blog To Market, To Market with San Diego Foodstuff and was so happy with it!!!

Honorable Mentions:

Grass Fed Arm Roast, Cooked Slow and Low

Oven Roasted Beets

Pico de Gallo

Homemade Taco Seasoning

Peanut Butter Bars

Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing

Hope you enjoyed this roundup of my favorite Top Ten recipes from 2008!

I have loved my first full year of blogging. And it was made all the more wonderful by the incredible food bloggers that I have had the chance to meet and get to know. I would be hard pressed to believe that there was another group of people out there that are more supportive, friendlier and more helpful than food bloggers. Special thanks goes out to:

Kelly
Annie
Ben
Jerry
Peter
Jenn
Val
Jo
Jill
Sandy
Andrea
Elle
Nikki
Courtney
Lori

If I missed anyone I am incredibly sorry...

As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

24 comments:

Karen said...

What a wonderful post! I'm not a food blogger myself (amazed at the work that goes into it) but love to cook and have really enjoyed reading/looking for recipes. Thank you for posting your favorites for 2008, looking forward to 2009!
Karen

Andrea Meyers said...

Congrats on your first full year of blogging! it was great to meet you and do the 12 Days of Cookies together. Happy 2009!

RecipeGirl said...

Everything looks great. That lemon chicken scaloppini is totally drawing me in!

Elle said...

Judy, what an awesome retrospective on the past year--I'm starving and can't wait to try some of these.

It was great meeting you, too, this year! And I agree--the food blogging community is a wonderful bunch of people, so helpful and supportive.

So here's to a healthy, happy and prosperous New Year! :)

Sandy Smith said...

You know what? You are awesome! I am so glad that I got to know you through our 2008 cookie-baking extravaganza. Can't wait to see what 2009 brings!

Congrats on your first full year!!

Megan said...

This post just makes me want to spend the day eating! Everything looks so good. Congrats on a successful year and looking forward to 2009.
Happy New Year! <|:o)

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Thanks so much Karen!!!

Thanks Andrea I can't wait til next year! Happy New Year!

Hi Lori- that was a great one!

Hey Elle-A happy, healthy and prosperous one to you too!!!

Thanks Sandy, glad we met too!!!

Hey Megan Happy New Year to you too!

Thistlemoon said...

Love you Judy! :)

Peter M said...

Gosh, darn and OH MY....you have me linked in two dishes...now you've capped off my year real nicely.

I luv ya more than Jenn and just wish we lived closer to entertain one & other.

Happy New Year to you, T and the girls.

glamah16 said...

Happy New Yaer and it has been great getting to know you. Here is to more great cooking and blogging this upcoming year.

Patsyk said...

Looks like a great "year in review"! Happy New Year!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hey Jenn-Love you too, but you already know that!!!

Hey Peter-I luv ya lots too and oh buy do I wish I lived up there!!! Happy New Year to you too!

Hey Courtney-It has been great hasn't it?

Thanks so much Patsyk. Happy New Year to you too!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

It has been a real pleasure to read your blog and to get to know you better over the past year. Have a safe, happy and healthy New year...I know it will be tasty!!!

Anonymous said...

All of those dishes look wonderful, especially the hot sauce! Wishing you a happy and delicious 2009.

Susan @ SGCC said...

Great recap, Judy! You've certainly covered a lot of ground over the past year.

Happy New Year! I hope it's all you want it to be!

Mike of Mike's Table said...

All very delicious items to include in the annual roundup. I'd have a tough time picking a favorite from the bunch, so I'll just take a bit of each please :-P

sj said...

Hey Judy... :) Happy New Year to you! I hope that 2009 is happy, healthy, prosperous and wonderful for you and your family. I have adored getting to know you over these past few months... you always make me smile and giggle and you are just one of the sweetest ladies ever. Thank you for letting me get a glimpse of your life here on the blog and chatting through twitter... you are truly a special gal.

*hugs*

Anonymous said...

Ooo, that homemade hot sauce looks particularly tempting!

Happy New Year :)

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hey Val-Hasn't it been a fun blogging year? Happy New Year to you too!

Hi Lydia-Wishing you a happy, healthy and prosperous new year!

Hey Susan- Thanks and to you as well!

Hey Mike-Saved a bit for you...

Awww Jo-You are one of many bright spots in 2008! A truly incredible person!!!

Hey Ari-That HOT sauce was incredible!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! I have tried more than one of your recipes, and with good results.

Keep up the great blogging! Happy new year!

Melissa said...

Hooray for a year very well done! I'm intrigued by the squash sauce you and Peter both tried... and also the citrus marinade, but your link to it isn't taking me there. I'll just search for it.

Happy New Year, once again!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Thanks Anonymous!

Hi Melissa-I fixed that link...and you really should try that pasta. It's delicious!!!

Erin Krenek said...

That hot sauce looks awesome. My fiance would love it! Looking forward to reading all of your 2009 posts.

Ivy said...

Happy New Year to you and yours and to more delicious recipes to come.