Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Homemade Doggy Treats



I had to include the puppies in my homemade Christmas this year. I burnt my hand while I was posting this. Sorry it's so short. Dogs stared and wanted their treats!

I was inspired to do this by my friend Jenn The Leftover Queen who made these for her puppy Peperoncino! Thanks Jenn!

Little hands can help!

Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits

INGREDIENTS:

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup non-fat dry milk powder (we actually had this in our hurricane stash!)
1/2 tsp salt
6 TBS butter
1 egg
1 cup water
3 tsp wheat bran
3 TBS Peanut Butter

METHOD:

Preheat oven to 350 F. Put butter and egg in food processor and process until smooth. In a bowl mix the flour, milk powder, salt and wheat bran together. Add flour mixture, PB and water alternately to butter and egg mixture and pulse processor until the dough has come together into a nice ball (you may not need to use all the water).

Roll the dough out onto a floured surface and roll to about 1/2 inch thickness. If you have a cookie cutter, cut the shapes out (I did have cutouts!). If not, you can use the Roberto method. Cut small (about 2 inch long) rectangles in the dough with a knife.

Fold piece in half lengthwise. Squish the middle of each end towards the center to make the 2 rounded knobs at each end. Flip over to smooth side and place on a cookie sheet (don’t worry about spacing, they aren’t going to grow).

Bake for about 15 minutes, flip and then bake another 3-4 minutes. Place on cookie racks to cool and keep out overnight to harden.

Makes about 60-70 cookies.

These were simple and I'm sure the dogs will love their gifts!

As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

9 comments:

Peter M said...

Hmm, I would actually take a bite of these too!

Even doggies have to have a Christmas...Merry Christmas to the No Fear Familia.

Anonymous said...

Good idea for a present for our canine friends! Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year To you. Cheers!

Elle said...

Lucky dogs! Merry Christmas!

Lys said...

Love this receipe and will have to make it for the new pup ;)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting these. I was just searching for a recipe such as this and couldn't find anything. These are perfect!

JoAnn said...

This is wonderful! I just missed Slipper's Birthday (he turned 5 on the solstice) and will make him these when I return from Germany. Yuletide greetings to you and your family J!
Jo

Peabody said...

Thanks for the recipe, my pup always appreciates new flavors of treats.
Enjoy the holiday!

Thistlemoon said...

I am so glad you made these! Hope your pups enjoyed them!

Jen said...

I can't wait to get home from my holiday travel so I can make my puppy these treats! Thanks & have a great holiday.