Monday, July 28, 2008

Peter's Souvlaki Rocks!

Yummmmm...

I have always loved souvlaki. Growing up in Toronto we had many, many Greeks around us so we were able to get some really good stuff. Since moving here we have 3 Greek restaurants run by 2 different people. Not a whole lot of variety. At one I really like the Greek Salad but their tzatziki sucks. The other one's tzatziki is great but their Greek Salad is bad! And unfortunately their souvlaki is pretty flat. I like mine full of flavor so just imagine how happy I was when Peter of Kalofagas - Greek Food and Beyond, finally posted his Souvlaki recipe!!!

I had some trouble finding pork to do it with but I was finally able to get my hands on some good pork steaks (no hormones or antibiotics etc.). I marinated them all of Friday night and Saturday. T. could not wait to get into this! Can't hardly blame him. It was incredible. The best I have ever had. We had it with some nice crusty bread and tzatziki sauce (bought from the restaurant that has good stuff. I know it's easy but I had no time!).

Thanks again Peter!!! I wouldn't change a single in this recipe it was absolutely perfect!!!


Pork Souvlaki

1 boneless pork butt (shoulder)
1 medium onion, grated
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 heaping tsp. salt
1 heaping tsp. black pepper
1/4 vegetable oil
1 heaping tsp. dried Greek oregano
wooden skewers (soaked overnight)

  1. Trim excess fat from your pork butt and cut into uniform pieces.
  2. In a large bowl, add your remaining marinade ingredients along with the pork pieces and toss to mix and coat all the meat. Place in the fridge for at least 5 hours and for best results, overnight.
  3. Place your wooden skewers in a shallow baking dish that's filled with water. Allow the wooden skewers to soak overnight (so they don't disintegrate when grilling).
  4. The next day, a couple of hours before you are going to grill your souvlaki, allow the pork to come to room temperature and then start skewering your meat (it's easier when your meat's at room temperature).
  5. Pre-heat your gas grill (or prepare your charcoal grill) and when you have a medium-high heat, grill your souvlakia for 3-4 minutes a side and then keep warm until all the souvlaki are cooked.
  6. Squeeze fresh lemon juice on your souvlakia with a sprinkle of fine sea salt and dried Greek oregano.
  7. Serve with some crusty bread and Tzatziki.

As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

11 comments:

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

Wow - they look completely like the real deal. Maybe that boy knows a thing or two after all... ;-)

Peter M said...

Judy, who's this "kalofagas" guy...I here he has some "edible" food? lol

The souvlaki looks fabulous and there's no denyin' this souvlaki marinade's a keeper.

Thank you dear friend...you're ever kind and you really rock!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

It does sound incredible Judy. I have my eye on Peter's souvlaki too:D

Thistlemoon said...

I am dying to try this soon! :)

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

Looks great! I've been waiting for Peter's souvlaki for a long time: nice to see it in action now! I'm excited and will be making it soon.

Anonymous said...

It looks delicious! I have the same problem with the restaurants in my area; one of them makes a kickin' greek dressing but the salad is just so-so; the other has a gorgeous Greek Salad but the dressing is not so good.

Proud Italian Cook said...

Oh Yeah, I'll be making this! You did a great job! BTW, I love your spinach dish too!

Anonymous said...

OMG Yes it DOES! Yours looks delicious. I made this last week, too! Peter has some dayumed good recipes, doesn't he? :)

MrOrph said...

I think this dish will be making the rounds for real. I know I have put it on my TODO list.

Nicely done!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hey forkfull-he does seem to know how to cook, doesn't he?

Oh no Peter-you totally rock!

Hi Val-You'll love it. It is the real deal!

Hi Jenn-grab some of the Greenwise Pork Steaks at Publix and use those!

Hi eatingclub-you have got to try this!

Hi reeni-I would so love a total package!

Thanks Proud Italian Cook!!!

Oh yes Nikki-Peter Rocks!!!

Hey Mr Orph-try it soon. It will become a favorite!

Cakelaw said...

This souvlaki looks delish - finger licking good! The tzatziki on the side looks rather pretty - almost like a pavlova.