Tuesday, December 2, 2008

12 Days of Cookies - A Gourmet cookie extravaganza

This event is the brain child of Andrea of Andreas Recipes. How I got asked to be involved with this incredible group is beyond me but all the thanks goes to Kelly of Sass & Veracity. There are 7 of us that have decided to do The 12 Days of Cookies - A Gourmet cookie extravaganza. We will be choosing, baking, tasting, blogging and sharing with you a cookie a day for the next 12 days of December.

These cookies are coming from Gourmet's Favorite Cookie Recipes: 1941-2008.
They’ve published a lot of cookie recipes in their 68-year history, many of them around the winter holidays. This season they decided to choose the very best from each year.

These are my partners in crime. We will all be choosing different cookies and surprising each other. How fun is that???? Be sure to check out their selections for the day!

Jerry - Cooking...by the seat of my Pants
Sandy - At the Baker's Bench
Courtney - Coco Cooks
Kelly - Sass & Veracity
Claire - The Barefoot Kitchen
Andrea - Andreas Recipes

Day 2 of my 12 Days of Cookies features Jelly Centers!

We can only imagine the anniversary buffet suggested in our June 1948 issue, resplendent with molded salads garnished with radish roses, cold salmon, and dainty little petits fours. These cookies—dotted with chopped almonds and filled with jewel-toned jams—would fit right in. - Gourmet

Jelly Centers - June 1948 (link to the recipe as it was originally printed)

Ingredients:

1 cup butter (I used unsalted)
1 cup powdered sugar or very fine granulated sugar
6 egg yolks
pinch of salt
juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
3 cups sifted flour
blanched almonds, finely chopped (I used regular almonds and did not blanch)
coarse sugar
apricot jam or any red jam or jelly (I used raspberry jam)

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350°
  • Cream the butter until it is light.
  • Gradually add the powdered sugar, creaming well after each addition.
  • Add the egg yolks one at a time, salt and the lemon juice, and zest.
  • Gradually add the flour and stir or knead the dough until blended.
  • Chill for at least 2 hours.
  • Roll the dough with lightly floured hands into uniform balls the size of large marbles. Press an indentation into each ball with your little finger. Brush on the egg yolk and sprinkle the tops with almonds and sugar.
  • Bake for about 10 minutes or until the balls are golden brown.
  • When ready to serve fill the indentations with your choice of jam.
They look like little jewels on my plate!

I loved the flavor of these cookies. Not too sweet. If I made these again I would definately fill them with a homemade jam or jelly. I think that would really add to these. For me though they were a little fussy to make and I found some of the (very short) directions a little confusing. There wasn't even a bake time in the original recipe.

Would I make these again? Probably not as they were a little fussy for me but they did look really elegant and I could see how they could have been a really popular cookie back in 1948!

As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

15 comments:

Ivy said...

Judy, I feel like singing "On the twelfth day of Christmas" and keep adding your cookie creations. These sound great as well.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

What an exciting challenge to cook up treats that our mothers would have been baking. I am enjoying all of these:D

glamah16 said...

They look so perfect and delectable. Those older recipes are crazy. But you could modernize it and use your homemade jam later!

Peter M said...

Judy, these look alot like cookies one would find in a Greek bakery and they remind me of those Peak Freans cookies with the raspberry center!

Anonymous said...

These are very cute -- and since I'm partial to jelly filled anything, I know I'd love them. Hilarious on not printing a baking time. I can't wait until I make one of the old ones...should be interesting!

Terri said...

Judy: I have been making these little gems to serve and give away at Christmastime for about 5 years now. They are my favorite and my kids and grandkids love them, too.

Jen said...

They do look like little jewels on your plate. What great fun. I think you all are nuts, though.

In a good way. ;-)

Truly, I'm very, very impressed with this project.

Lori said...

How exciting! I can't wait to see all the recipes. I loved that you answered the question of whether you'd make them again. This helps me decide if I want to tackle them. So things are awesome, but may not be worth the work every time.

Sandy Smith said...

These look beautiful. I think bakers of yesteryear were a lot more intuitive about their baking! It's been fun (and a little frustrating) to puzzle out some of these recipes. I love it though - it's like a history project!

I'd love one of your cookies right now with some tea!

Joie de vivre said...

How pretty! What a fun event.

Mike of Mike's Table said...

I like this event--those cookies look delicious! I never did a lot of xmas cookie baking, but I get the feeling you guys will get me into it this year

Thistlemoon said...

Wow, those look great and my birthday is on the 12th, so what a way to celebrate! :)

These jellies look great! :)

Anonymous said...

These do look like little jewels - so sweet! I'm sure they will be a big hit, even for all the fussyness.

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hey Ivy-I sing that all day long!

Hi Val-Isn't it funny? Me too!

Hey Courtney-They were really yummy. They were just a little fussy for my time starved life!

Hey Peter-Oh I love those cookies!!! I grew up with them!!!

Hey Kelly-They were good. You can use any jelly to brighten them or not! Have fun with the older ones!

Hey Terri-Isn't that funny. We were talking about our Mom's making these!

Hey Jen-Maybe we are a little nuts, in a good way!

Hi Lori-I am so glad you are enjoying this!

Hey Sandy-It is sort of like a history project isn't it. Maybe preserving and passing on a bit!

Hi Joie de vivre-Thanks

Hey Mike-Go for it. Pretty rewarding to see your freezer full of Christmas gifts!

Hey Jenn-Guess what I have for you for your birthday!

Hey Claire-I loved these!

Andrea Meyers said...

I love jelly filled cookies, and these remind me of thumbprint cookies. They do look so pretty on the plate! I'm having so much fun doing this with you all (y'all). :-)