Thursday, September 11, 2008

Brownies again...and an award!

Homemade Super Rich Chocolate Brownies w/ Walnuts and Pretzels!


It seems like every time we are due to get any bad weather or anything severe I want Brownies. Maybe these have become my comfort food? This time it was Hurricane Ike.


I know, I know we weren't even suppose to really get anything bad from it but it was out there and it was within 200 miles of us!!! Was I really just looking for an excuse??? Now in my defense we have had a lot of flooding due to heavy rains. Lots of wind with gust up to 40 miles an hour but nothing like having a huge storm pummel you head on...my prayers go out to the people in Ike's path.

Anyway. I made Brownies again. This time I added some walnuts and some pretzels (trying for that salty/sweet thing). I only had pretzel thins though and they got a bit soggy before it cooked up so use the regular size ones if you try this!

And this is how I ate my piece!!!

Homemade Super Rich Chocolate Brownies

Recipe from Martha Stewart’s Cookies.

  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for pan
  • 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
I also stirred in 3/4 cup of chopped walnuts and 1/2 cup of crushed pretzels.

Preheat oven to 350°. Butter an 8″square baking pan. Line pan with parchment paper, leaving 2 inches hanging over the sides. Butter parchment paper.

In a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, stir together butter, chocolate, and cocoa powder. Set aside to cool slightly.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

Combine sugar, eggs, and vanilla using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale, about 4 minutes. Add chocolate mixture and mix until combined. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture, mixing until combined.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Spread evenly with spatula. Bake about 35 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out with a few crumbs but is not wet. Let cool in pan about 15 minutes.

Lift brownies out of pan. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into squares.

This is a wonderful award that was passed on to me from Meryl's Musing which is a really fun blog filled with a little bit of everything. I am so truly honored every time that someone passes an award on to me. I love the validation that comes with it.

The rules are as follows:

1) Add the logo of the award to your blog.

2) Add a link to the person who awarded it to you (as shown above).

3) Nominate at least seven other blogs.

4) Add links to those blogs on your blog.

5) Leave a message for your nominees on their blogs.

So the ones that I am choosing are the ones that I read all of the time and have actually become "friends" with most of them.

Jenn - the left over queen
Peter at Kalofagas
Danni at On the Way to Critter Farm
Nuria at Spanish Recipes
Dharm at Dad~Baker and chef
Val at More Than Burnt Toast
and last but not least Brittany at Musings of a Barefoot Foodie

As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

12 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Thank you sincerely for the award Judy. I am overjoyed when someone passes an award my way...I will have a brownie in celebration:D

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Oh Val so so deserve it-the award and the brownie!!!

Dharm said...

Hey! I got here before you could leave a message!! :) That brownie looks so decadent - especially with the ice cream. Thanks so much for the award!! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Never would have thought to add pretzels to brownie batter! I will definitely try that.

Congrats on the award! You deserve it...I enjoy your blog.

Peter M said...

Judy, you call that a storm? lol

All kidding aside...let's hope it passes with no more than just rain and a little wind.

Thank you dahhhhling for the award. You know I appreciate and I show it in our chats.

Peter M said...

Post Script...I've seen pretzels in brownies popping up lately...please FedEx a box for me to sample.

Danni said...

Love the brownie recipe and smiled when I saw that you passed your award on to me. Congrats to you!! Your blog is fun, interesting, and deliciously entertaining...
I love that we've become friends through all this.
Thanks, Judy! :-)

Mike of Mike's Table said...

Glad Ike missed us, too--and to think, just a few days ago, it was coming right for Tampa, lol! These brownies look delicious. I've never heard of the pretzel thing...although, I love chocolate covered pretzels, so I could see how it would work and I'll have to give it a try!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hi Dharm-You were too fast for me!

Hi Daisy Blue-I did not create this. I saw someone do this and I can't remember where!

Hey Peter-Um yep...there on their way!

Hey Danni-one of the best thing about blogging is the people!

Hi Mike-Ugh Ike! Love the salty/sweet thing!

Laura Paterson said...

Congrats on the award!!

I love the idea of pretzles in here - I loved the chocolate covered pretzels, but I don't think you can get them any more! (Round this neck of the woods anyway ;)

Jen said...

YUM!! I love a creative chef. I'm gonna try this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Jen

Núria said...

Thank you Sweetheart!!!!!! Ahhhh you deserve it so and it has such a naive design... I love it! Thanks :D

Could I get some of your brownies sent over here so that I can make a "product review"? He, he any excuse to eat some... they look awesome♥