Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Sausage and Fresh Greens


I found this recipe a couple of days ago on a fellow Floridian's blog (Jenn from The Left-Over Queen). Due to all of the wonderful fresh produce we have access to here in the winter both of us are cooking similar things. I have loved several of her recipes before this one (remember the oven roasted beets last week?). This one was incredible though. Maybe the thing that I liked best about was that I cooked it in the afternoon. Placed the pot and all in the fridge and when T. got home from work he was able to just turn the stove on and heat up dinner for us. Pretty cool for me on a busy Tuesday night!

Sausage and Fresh Greens

Ingredients:

6 organic chicken sausage links (I use all natural pork sausage)
3 TBS olive oil
3 cloves garlic, smashed
1 small onion, diced
1can CiCi (garbanzo) beans
2 TBS tomato paste
8 oz. Can plum tomatoes w/ juice
2 cups assorted greens (chard, beet, spinach)(I only had swiss chard at the time)
salt & pepper to taste
splash of white truffle oil (I used truffle "Carpaccio"-Just what I had on hand)

Directions:

In a skillet place sausage in one inch of water. Boil water and turn sausage frequently. When water is gone, add olive oil to pan and shake pan to coat the sausages. Brown sausages on one side. Add the onions and garlic. Turn sausages and brown on other side. Add beans, tomato paste and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer. Add greens. Salt & pepper to taste. Simmer for 15 minutes. Finish with a splash of white truffle oil. Can serve over pasta, potatoes, with rice or just by itself.
We did top it with some goat cheese. What a wonderfully, flavorful dish!

As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

No comments: