Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Stuffed Green Peppers and my never ending freezer purge

Italian stuffed green peppers!

My never ending battle to empty my freezer goes on...

I have a case of green peppers that I froze a couple of months ago that I am now working on. Last week Life is Good left a comment on one of my asking for help posts and it was a recipe for stuffed peppers. I have only ever had them stuffed with rice so this was a great idea.

The base of the recipe was bread crumbs. It was really just a list of ingredients which I was able to throw together and come up with a nice, quick and tasty dinner.

bread crumbs (make your own from some older bread)
fresh basil
fresh oregano
fresh parsley
garlic powder
salt
pepper
1 can of diced tomato with juice
olive oil
1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan
1/2 cup cubed fresh mozzarella

I mixed all of this together in a bowl and stuffed them into my peppers. Stuff lightly. It's a lot of bread crumbs. I baked them at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes. I served them with some Italian sausage and they made a really good dinner!

5 peppers down about 30 to go...HELP!

As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

12 comments:

Núria said...

Ha, ha! I did this same "cleaning" just before going out for summer holidays :D Sometimes I can find things I just forgot that were there.

I love stuffed peppers and you did a great job with yours! Buen provecho ;D

Peter M said...

I always those those stuffed jalapenos at bars...who can resist?

Judy, you have the Texas sized portion...huge! lol

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hi Nuria-I have a chest freezer and then the one with my fridge. I have no idea what is in the chest one. I keep hoping it's big bags of ice on the bottom...LOL!

Hey Peter-That was T's portion not mine!!!

Meg said...

The stuffed peppers remind me of my grandma. She used to make them all the time. They looks delicious!

Life is Good said...

Way to go Judy! They look great! My Auntie Sue would be proud! Her sister just turned 100 and just recently has had to stop cooking. We were afraid she would burn down the house! I love the things you added.

Thistlemoon said...

Those look so yummy Judy! I am not a fan of green peppers, but that I would try for sure!

Nate @ House of Annie said...

how about stuffing the (cooked) sausage *in* the peppers?

Anonymous said...

Love stuffed peppers. This is the perfect thing to make and store for winter. The farmer's markets are overflowing with gorgeous peppers, onions, and tomatoes right now.

Mike of Mike's Table said...

Those look great! As for what to do with the remaining 30, lol, I'm not so sure...

Nina Timm said...

This looks so warm and comforting. At the moment we are experiencing some freezing weather here in Cape Town. This is a great combat for the cold, thx for sharing!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hi Meg-Aw that's nice!

Hi LisG-Thanks for the idea!

Hey Jenn-You would have liked them!

Hi Nate-n-Annie-I have a tomato hater and I wanted her to at least eat something thus the sausage on the side!

Hi wives with knives-That's how I ended up with those peppers!

Hey Mike-Help!!!!

Hi Nina-Here it's hot, windy and rainy!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Stuffed peppers are a favourite of mine. I didn't know you could freeze peppers though...you learn something new every day:D