Sunday, September 21, 2008

Old blueberries make what?

These are some very juicy blueberries. My hands were purple all day!!!

I guess I am sort of following a really crappy pattern here. I have soooooo much food that seems to been the right on the edge. Too old to eat as it is but just right for baking or cooking...aren't I lucky????

This time it was blueberries. Can you guess what I made?

Blueberry Muffins (adapted from Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book)

Ingredients:

1 cup AP Flour
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (you can use regular AP flour)
2/3 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 beaten egg
3/4 cup milk (2 Tbsp more if using ww pastry flour)
1/4 cup vegetable oil or canola oil
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 tsp finely zested lemon

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  • In a mixing bowl combine all of the dry ingredients. Make a well in the center.
  • Combine all of the wet ingredients except the blueberries and zest. Add all at once to the flour mixture and stir until just moist. The batter should be lumpy.
  • Fold in the blueberries and the lemon zest.
  • Fill greased muffin cups or paper liners 2/3 full.
  • Bake for about 20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
This was another really quick and easy recipe. Loved it!!!

On another note...Hurricane Ike.

Crystal Beach near Galveston, TX after Ike roared through.

I know that now that the storm is passed and it is no longer in the news we tend to forget that it is a story about individual lives. I know first hand that the people who live there still need to be in our thoughts. A very good friend of mine is just on her way from here to Galveston where her family has lived forever. They are going there to help do the demolition of their home. Yes, all of their lives were spared but the storm surge came through and pushed their home 4 inches off of the foundation and the house is no longer livable. They have lost everything. Mostly to water damage but at this point with out any A/C they have lost the rest of it to mold. I experienced the loss of my home and most of my belongings to Hurricane Charley 4 years ago (see my post here). I guess all I am trying to say is let's not forget that those people still need our thoughts and prayers.

If anyone is interested in making a monetary donation to this family please email me at judy@nofearentertaining.com and I can get you the family's name and address. This would be going right to them, not through me. They really need all the help they can get right now!

As Always...

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

7 comments:

Sweet Treats by Dani said...

i also have a lot of blueberries on hand... keep an eye on my blog for some BB recipes :):):)

the muffins look delicious, by the way... just like I like 'em - LOTS og BBs :)

Peter M said...

I hope the transition back to normalcy is quick for your friends.

As for blueberries, I just got back from making pancakes after I saw your post...spanks!

Thistlemoon said...

I can imagine that surviving a hurricane is a long and arduous process. My best wishes for your friend and her family that their recovery is quick. Please let us know if there is anything we can donate.

Nice muffins, Judy!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hi Dani-I'll be looking!

Hi Peter-So do I and thanks for the well wishes for them! Love blueberry pancakes!

Hey Jenn-They need money right now. If you are interested I have the name and address. Email me and I can get it for you. This will go directly to them. Not through me at all.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

One of my blogging friends Anj lives in Galveston..she lost a tree in her front yard so was lucky in that aspect.I would have really enjoyed tehse muffins for breakfast this morning Judy:D

Proud Italian Cook said...

Sorry about your friend Judy, I can't imagine how awful that would be to lose everything you had. As a side note, bluberry muffins are oh so good, especially still warm from the oven!

Anonymous said...

thank you judy for the good thoughts. we are sweating over here and getting eaten up my texas sized mosquitos. we managed to make it to the west end today and pack up what is left of my nieces and we are rummaging through my sisters tomorrow. the san leon area was hit hard. almost every home has some damage. the one that hit me the hardest was the house in the middle of the street with the big x and o on it. all things considered. my family survived.