Saturday, May 24, 2008

Stuffed Green Pepper's Our Way

Stuffed Green Pepper's Our Way

I have a lot of zucchini...I mean a whole lot of zucchini...I went to the Farmer's Market today at Cape Harbor. The same one that I went to last week and got a ton of peppers. This week he sold me a ton of zucchini. This is just too good to pass up. A whole case of the things, organic no less for $15!!! I guess we'll be eating a lot of zucchini in the next couple of weeks!

See...Lots and lots of zucchini!!!

Last nights dinner was pretty great. We held a bunch of the green peppers back from last weekend and decided that we would stuff them one night during the week. Well you all know how that goes. Time just gets away from you and before you know it the week is done and you still have the green peppers that need to be stuffed and eaten. By now you all know that one of my children is a true tomato hater. This is the only pass that either of them get. She has to eat everything else...try stuffing a pepper without using tomatoes!!! This what I came up with...

Stuffed Green Peppers Our Way

4 green peppers, halved lengthwise with seeds removed
1 lb sweet Italian sausage (we used Romano and Garlic)
1/2 onion chopped
4 cloves garlic (use more or less depending on your taste), chopped
2 Tbsp taco seasoning mix
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 can black beans, drained
2 cups of cooked bulgar
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 (12 oz) pkg of Queso Fresco (crumbling cheese not frying), crumbled
2 chopped tomatoes, seeds removed

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  • Brown sausage and add garlic and onion and cook until tender. Mix in the seasonings. When well mixed add the can of beans and the cooked bulgar. Add the tomato last and cook until heated through.
  • Place prepared peppers on a foil lined baking sheet and fill with about 1 Tbsp of the cheese. Top with enough of the bulgar mixture to fill the pepper. Top with more cheese.
  • Bake in preheated oven for about 35 minutes. Brown the cheese under the broiler.
  • Serve with a side of fresh pico de gallo
This was lunch yesterday! I make the BEST pico de gallo!!!

We removed enough of the stuffing mixture for one pepper before adding the tomato for my daughter to eat. This was a nice, quick, fresh tasting meal. The reason I used the bulgar was because it was faster cooking (about 15 minutes) than brown rice and more neutral flavored.

Now what to do with all of those zucchini??? Looks like zucchini fritters for tonight!!!

As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love stuffed peppers. This looks great! Zucchini, is also great in Ratatouille, and they also make fantastic pickles.

glamah16 said...

I hope you have a big freezer. Zucchini bread,muffins, ratatouille,stuffes zucchini, fried zucchini,etc.....

Lunch Buckets said...

Stop your braggin' Woman! Just kidding, boast away, I'm living vicariously here :)

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hi Marc-I think I am going to try the pickles!

Oh Glamah it is big but getting fuller by the week!

No bragging here Lunch Buckets. I thought I was in the dead zone but this guy has made my world so much better!

Brittany said...

I have been asking around for the past few months for a good stuffed peppers recipe. No one gives me one. So I am ecstatic to see you have one up! THANKS!

Anonymous said...

Wow..its looking great.I hope it will be heavy tasty.Its presentation is nice too.

grace said...

stuffed peppers your way is shockingly similar to stuffed peppers my way. good stuff! stuffed zucchini is also tasty, plus it gives you an excuse to say "zucchini boat"... :)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I love stuffed peppers no matter what. Have heart my daughter never ate tomatoes or onions, but for dinner the other day I served her Greek salad and she ate the tomatoes:D

Peter M said...

Lori, great Tex-Mex twist on stuffed peppers!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hey Brittany let me know how you like them!

Thanks Versicherungen!

Hi Grace, isn't it funny how similar we are food wise to certain people?

Thanks Val I need that hope there. It kills my Italian husband!!!

Peter - Hmmmm...too many Greek Beers???