Thursday, May 22, 2008

Jamie Oliver's chicken thighs and a huge brag about my daughter!

My oldest daughter on TV during her schools morning news show!

First I want to start with my big Mommy moment. My oldest daughter is very bright. The reason that I moved her from private school to public school is that the public schools have more resources available to them to handle a child that is so bright. Yeah...I know we all think that our kids are brilliant but now I have some proof.

The school that they attend does an Accelerated Reading Program which basically means that the books they read have grade and point values attached to them. They are tested on comprehension for all of the books that they finish and are given a point value up to about 6 points (I think). The average amount of points is 3 or 4.

Well in the 4 weeks that my oldest daughter has been there she has accumulated a total of 62 points and has reach STAR Reader Certification after being certified in 5 other Reader groups. This is unprecedented at the school. Needless to say we are very proud of her. The school acknowledges major accomplishments like this on their school produced morning news program. Once again I forgot my camera and took this with my iPhone but you get the point!!!

Now for dinner last night. My sister had made one of Jamie Oliver's recipe and she was dying for me to try it. I made it last night and it was very good. I did make a couple of substitutions because I never have everything just right for a recipe unless I am baking. My changes are in italics beside the real thing. I also added garlic powder and fresh garlic for a bit more flavor.


Would I make this again?: It was delicious and I really loved it. During the week though I only have a limited amount of time to make dinner between homework X 2, cleaning up dog crap, answering incessant and inane questions, and just generally living so I think this used too many pots and steps for a week night meal. Great though for a Friday, Saturday or Sunday when things are not so hectic.


Crispy and sticky chicken thighs with squashed new potatoes and tomatoes by Jamie Oliver's Jamie at home "Cook your way to the good life"

1 3/4 lb new potatoes, scrubbed (white potatoes, I picked out the smallest ones in the bag)
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper and garlic powder
12 boned chicken thighs, skin on, preferably free-range or organic (I only had 7 skinless thighs)
olive oil
splash of red wine
1 1/4 lb cherry tomatoes, different shapes and colors if you can find them (frozen,skinned tomatoes quartered)
7 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
a bunch of fresh oregano, leaves picked (some fresh some dried)
extra virgin olive oil
red wine vinegar

  • Put the potatoes into a large saucepan of salted boiling water and boil until cooked.
  • While the potatoes are cooking, preheat your oven to 200C/400F/gas 6. Cut each chicken thigh into three strips and place in a bowl. Rub the meat all over with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder, then toss. Heat a large frying pan, big enough to hold all the chicken pieces snugly in one layer, and put the chicken into the pan, skin side down. If you don't have a pan that's big enough, feel free to cook the chicken in two batches. Toss and fry over a high heat for 10 minutes or so, until almost cooked, then remove with a slotted spoon to an oven proof pan of dish. I deglazed the pan with red wine and poured it over the cooked chicken.
  • Prick the tomatoes with a sharp knife. Place them in a bowl cover with boiling water and leave for a minute of so. Drain and when cool enough to handle, pinch off their skins. You don't have to, but by doing this they will become lovely and sweet when cooked and their intense flavor will infuse the potatoes. By now the potatoes will be cooked. Drain them in a colander, then lightly crush them by pushing down on them with your thumb.
  • Bash up most of the oregano leaves with a pinch of salt in a pestle and mortar, or a flavor shaker if you have one. Add 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, a good splash of red wine vinegar and some pepper and give everything another bash. Add to the chicken with the potatoes, the tomatoes and the rest of the oregano leaves. Add the garlic cloves. Toss everything together carefully. Spread out in a single layer in an appropriately sized roasting tray, and bake for 40 minutes in the preheated oven until golden.

Lovely served with a rocket salad dressed with some lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil and a nice glass of white wine. We served it with a tossed salad and s a bottle of Pinot Grigio!This recipe came from Jamie at home "Cook your way to the good life"

This was my sister's version fresh from the oven!

As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to your daughter. That is wonderful! Keep up the good work.
The Crispy chicken recipe sounds good and I happen to have fresh potatoes today(from the garden).Can't wait to try it.

glamah16 said...

Your doing a amazing job on feeding the family. I am going to revolt and get some boneless thighs. CS tries to limit me with the white meat only. Keep being the proud Mama!

Peter M said...

Judy, the smarty-pants daughter will be a handful when she's older but in a good way!

I'm glad you liked Jamie's baked chicken thighs...and as Jamie would say...easy-peasy!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Thanks Pam-She sure is proud of herself today! Lucky you on the fresh potatoes!!! I am truly jealous. Everything I have is burning up already!

Hey Glamah this was really a fairly light tasting dish. Have it with a salad and wipe all that guilt away!

Hey Peter-She sure is a smarty pants...do you remember gifted programs up there when we were kids?
That chicken was really good. Just too many pots for a week night...pretty sad huh?

Heather said...

Whoa, that looks really good. Your daughter really is a gifted little thing! I was in TAG when I was a kid, so if you don't watch out, she might end up like me! :P

grace said...

"squashed" potatoes? i love it. and congrats to your daughter (and you)! that's definitely a praise-worthy accomplishment!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I didn't know Jamie had chicken thighs...thunder drumbs...sorry just couldn't resist. I did see him make this dish on his show and have had my eyes on it ever since:D He made it in his woodburning oven...how cool is that:D

Brittany said...

CONGRATS to your super smarty daughter! Yay for her...and for you! Just shows how much of a great mama you are:)

And I LOVE chicken thighs, so this is a must make for me...I'll make sure to have every potin my kitchen clean and ready:)

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Heather-I have no idea what TAG is but you seem to have done well for yourself in spite of everything! I think that's pretty good!

Grace-it is a great recipe and thanks about the comps about my daughter!

Val-LOL. Wouldn't you just love a woodburning stove. I lust over those Aga's which are suppose to be similar! Great recipe though. Be sure to try it. Maybe on the grill some how?

Brittany-thanks for the comps on my daughter. Yes get those pots prepared. Also be sure diapers are changed, pets outside, and kids are quietly watching tv. My lack of preparedness on those levels always screws me up!

Mike of Mike's Table said...

Congrats for your daughter and nice work with the dish! It looks really tasty