Wednesday, May 7, 2008

But Mom, these are muffins!!!


I just don't get it. How can my kids not like muffins? I have tried every way possible to get them to eat muffins. I know it sounds crazy but I think that if they ate muffins it would be a nice quick, low impact (on the parents), and healthy thing to start their day. I have seriously tried about 20 recipes and nothing really does it for them. I have a freezer full of ones that they tried and didn't like. I guess I really need to figure out something to do with them!

Anyway yesterday instead of making muffins for my freezer I decided to take a muffin recipe and make it into a cake. Sounds like a great idea huh? Outsmart them once and for all. To no avail. Although they did eat it yesterday when they came home from school this morning for breakfast they wanted nothing to do with it!!! T. and I thought it came out great and have made a nice dent in it so it guess it wasn't all for nothing!

This was really a nice light snack cake and I am still baffled by the fact that my kids will not eat cake for breakfast???!!!

Raspberry Crumb Cake

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup plain, non-fat yogurt
  • 3/4 cup low-fat milk
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 4 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 cups frozen or fresh red raspberries
Topping:
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 4 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
  • Dash cinnamon
  • 4 tablespoons softened butter
Directions:

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease and flour a 9X9 cake pan.

In bowl combine yogurt, milk, granulated sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, melted butter, and egg. In separate bowl stir together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Combine the mixtures, stirring only until dry ingredients are moistened. Gently fold in berries. Fill pan.

In a small bowl combine the topping ingredients with a fork until crumbly. Top batter with crumb topping.

Bake for 35-40 minutes


As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw your blog from La Mia Cucina, and I like your blog very much. I hope you don't mind me listed your blog in this directory.

Your readers and fans can vote for you by giving you a star here. ;)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I'd eat this cake for breakfast Judy. By the way I have passed on an award to you some come on down when you have a chance and don't forget to bring a piece of cake:D

Heather said...

Kids that don't like muffins? Nobody's perfect, I guess. Sure they're yours? :P

grace said...

i'm shocked that your kiddies aren't fans of the muffin man! i thought everyone loved muffins. maybe it's because they're like naked cupcakes and your kids would rather see them clothed with lots and lots of frosting. i know i would, but i suppose that kinda defeats the purpose of a muffin. :)

Anonymous said...

No cake for breakfast? I wonder if that would rub off on my kids? They want caaaaake and muffiiinnnsss all the time. lol Looks delish! :)

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Yes Ben I think they are weird. I too would choose cake over almost anything else!

Thank you so much Val and the cake has been delicious for breakfast!

Yep Heather I clearly remember pushing them out! Can I make a cookie healthy???

Hi Grace - yeah I don;t think sending them to school with a belly full of icing would be the best thing...

Hi Nikki-Yep I don't really get that they would rather have a bowl of Chex over muffins or CAKE???!!!

Anonymous said...

Muffins are wonderful and cake for breakfast is pure nirvana. This recipe looks great and I can't wait to try it myself. No offense, but I think your kids might be weird... although my nephew prefers broccoli to ice cream, so I guess they're not the only ones :)

Anonymous said...

Judy, this looks so yummy! With a good cup of coffee it would be heaven. My kids do like muffins, but mostly the tops! I always get the bottoms. We do cake for breakfast with leftover birthday cake. Today my middle child turns 7 (gotts love the taurus)and I had to make 2 of the same cake to make sure we have enough left for tomorrow's breakfast! As for you girls not liking muffins, hey there are worse things they could not like!