Sunday, March 30, 2008

Royal Foodie Joust - in just under the wire!!!

Fresh Coconut Fried Shrimp with a Garlic-Citrus Dipping Sauce

I seem to be making a huge habit of this under the wire thing! I guess better luck next month huh? I even got my coconut ages ago (stole it from my neighbors yard!!!) and still there it sat, well, not really. We had to move it all the time. That damn coconut was always in the way. Finally to the satisfaction of my whole family it is gone.

***UPDATE***I was educated on the innards of a coconut today. Officially what my daughter is drinking in the picture below is not coconut milk (who knew?) . It is coconut water. Coconut milk is derived from the meat of the coconut being grated and some hot water added to it and then the "milk" is squeezed from this! Isn't learning wonderful!!!

My youngest daughter drinking the fresh coconut milk um water!

This month's joust is being graciously hosted by Dharm at Dad~Baker & Chef so that Jenn -The Leftover Queen can attend to the last minute details of her wedding! The ingredients that were picked this month by Bellini Valli at More Than Burnt Toast were:

From the Sea (fish, scallops, clams, etc)
Lemon or lime
Coconut

Seeing as I am in south Florida I have easy access to all of these ingredients. I decided to use shrimp and do a coconut-curry breading on them with a garlic-citrus dipping sauce.

Fresh coconut meat

Ready for breading

Fresh Coconut Fried Shrimp

Ingredients:

1-1/2 lb. jumbo shrimp (peeled & deveined)
1 cup flour (use more if you need to)
2 tsp red curry powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 eggs (beaten)
1-1/2 cup finely grated fresh coconut (I used my food processor to grate this)
salt and pepper to taste
1 inch oil (I mixed olive oil and peanut oil)

Directions:
  • Place the flour in a small bowl and mix in the curry and cayenne powder. Place the beaten eggs in another bowl, and place the coconut in a third bowl.
  • Season the shrimp with the salt and pepper.
  • Heat the oil in a frying pan.
  • Dip each shrimp first in the flour, shaking off the excess flour. Dip in the egg. Repeat to get a nice coating. After the second egg dip place in the coconut and press into the shrimp.
  • Pan fry the shrimp until they are golden brown (about 1 minute each side). Allow to drain on paper towels.
Sauce:

1/4 cup orange marmalade
1 Tbs garlic chili sauce (available at oriental markets)
1/8 tsp white pepper
1 Tbs fresh squeezed lime juice

Directions:
  • Add the orange marmalade, chili sauce, white pepper, and lime juice.
  • Heat over low heat just until warm.
  • Serve with the coconut shrimp as a dipping sauce.
I loved this recipe. The freshness of ingredients and the ease of the preparations. Believe it or not this only took me about 30 minutes to pull together! Not bad for a great tasting meal!

As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

11 comments:

Peter M said...

This one of my earliest Thai food experinces and still one of my all time faves. I could eat a large plate of these!

Good luck in the Joust and pass the shrimp.

Dharm said...

Judy!
Good luck in the Joust. Its interesting with terminology - we would call what your daughter is drinking as Coconut Water while Coconut Milk would be the grated coconut, soaked with a tiny bit of hot water and then squeezed to get a lovely thick milk. Add that into curries and you get a lovely flavour!! BTW your daughter gorgeous!!

Núria said...

Wow Judy! I love your dish!!! Why is it that seeing other dishes, one thinks: why didn't I think of that one before? My mouth waters just by looking at your pic.
Great Job!!!
Good luck in the joust!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hey Peter - I didn't realize that this was Thai inspired until you said it. I so don't pay attention to things sometimes!

Thanks Dharm maybe I am wrong with the terminology. I never really thought of milk as something other than what I said? Thanks for the correction though and the daughter compliment!

Thanks Nuria - I kept checking the Joust entries to see if anyone had done this. This is such a common dish to order out here (Without the curry and cayenne)that I was sure it would have been done!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

We call it coconut milk as well Dharm, but then we buy coconut milk in cans at the store which is something different..This is a great use of the 3 ingredients as well Judy. Good luck in the JOUST!!!!!!!This is a winning combination:D

Thistlemoon said...

Great job, Judy! I love that photo of your daughter! How cute! Best of luck! :)

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Thanks Val but I guess we are both wrong on this...must be a Canadian thing huh?

Thanks Jenn-she sure is a cutey!

Kimi said...

Nice dish, I think I will surely be trying this one!

Danni said...

Oh yum...and I totally didn't know that about the coconut milk vs. coconut water...I've called it coconut milk all my life!

Pixie said...

This looks easy and delish, great work!

Laura Paterson said...

Great dish! So simple - but the flavours sounds amazing :)