Monday, March 17, 2008

Guess what we had for dinner last night?


Yep, once again it was Sunday, the one day a week that I don't have to come up with something new or amazing just good, hearty fresh tasting soup!

I had some chicken bones from a chicken that I had roasted earlier in the week, some carrots, onions, garlic and celery (remember that really nice looking celery from over a week ago? I froze it to use in soup!). I threw this all into a pot and let it simmer for the day. We strained it and I made some Passatelli, which are really a combination between pasta and dumplings. They are usually served just in a broth but I needed something to help make this soup a meal! We finished the soup with red swiss chard and then added the Passatelli and let this all cook down. This soup was great. I think the Parmesan in the noddles helped make it!

Passatelli (Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian)

2 eggs
2 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
pinch of fresh grated nutmeg
salt and pepper
  • In a bowl whisk the eggs and yolks. Add the Parmesan, bread crumbs, nutmeg, and a bit of salt and pepper to form a very loose dough.
  • Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to a day. The dough will firm up.
  • Have your soup boiling
  • Put portions of your dough in a ricer and press the dough through cutting it into sections by running a knife along the bottom. Allow to cook. When the Passatelli is done it will come to the surface.
This soup was another great one. I guess we just really like soup. It really went well with the chocolate pudding served for dessert!

As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

3 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Sounds wonderfully comforting Judy:D Once the warm weather of summer hits do you still have soup on Sundays or do you move over to salads...or perhaps BBQ:D

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

I don't know Val. This is the first year that I have done the soups but you have to remember I am way down south and it is incredibly hot and humid in the summer. We don't spend too much time outside. I always equate it to the winters up north because we sort of hibernate. Even the temps in the water at the beach are in the upper 80's!!! I guess time will tell!

Danni said...

Oh yum...this sounds delicious. But, I'm a dork...what's a "ricer"?
Can I make the pasatelli without one?