Friday, March 28, 2008

Fresh boat shrimp and a fresh salad!

Shrimp grilled on a skewer with a nice fresh salad!

Dinner here is still sort of shaky. My oldest daughter is still home recovering from her hive episode. There are no new ones coming out but the ones that she had that had opened are still opening and I am so afraid of her getting an infection in it that I would rather keep her home with me. Needless to say my days are kind of screwy! T. has also been sick with some crazy virus that we thought was pneumonia! He did go to the Doctor yesterday and he said that he would only feel like crap for another 3 weeks of so???!!! Wooo hooo...boy sometimes life is fun???

Anyway last night I was not letting anyone get in the way of my dinner. I made it all ahead of time and all T. had to do while I was at Karate was to cook the shrimp (fresh shrimp that I have been getting from the farmer's market. The shrimp come directly off of the boat that the guys have been out in all night! It doesn't get much fresher than that!) on the grill. All I did with the cleaned shrimp was to skewer them and add salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and a little coating of oil so they didn't stick to the grill.

For the salad I made a vinaigrette dressing using some of the fresh basil and Greek oregano that we have growing in boxes. I really just went by taste but I used red wine vinegar (start with about 1/3 cup and taste to see if it has enough vinegar for your taste), regular vinegar, oil (use about 1/2 cup), 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp dry mustard and fresh herbs. I let this sit at room temperature until dinner so all the flavors could blend together. I also added a can of garbanzo beans to the salad. They add a little bit more to a nice light meal!

As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

6 comments:

Danni said...

Oh, this is like my dream meal. So light and healthy...that salad totally made my mouth water. Since I'm not good at making stuff up like this, can you give me the amounts of the oil and vinegars you used, too? yummmm
Sorry T. and your daughter are suffering...hopefully, they are on the quick road to recovery now.

Peter M said...

Are ya sure you have enough shrimp on that skewer? lol

Fresh shrimp off the boat...say no more!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hey Danni-Use about a 1/2 cup of oil and about 1/3 cup of vinegar to start. Taste it and then if you like it with more vinegar add some more. Hope that helps.
And thanks for the well wishes...I sure hope T. recovers soon. Only so much whining I can listen too!

Well Peter you are right that is a amount of shrimp but my dh is Italian and has never subscribed to the less is more philosophy. He figures a skewer is that big for a reason and you need to fill it for a serving!!!

Heather said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your kid! My mom used to get hives that would weep and bleed if she scratched them. :(

That shrimp looks great, though. We've been getting snow! I want some of you sunshine dinner.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I hope everyone is feeling better by now. It puts a little kink in life, but you rose to the challenge and made a simple and yet flavourful meal:D

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hey Heather - The hives do suck but the medicine that they give her is worse. Man is she a little B****!
I would love to send you some of our sunshine dinner. Always plenty to go around here!

Thanks Val-Everyone is doing better!