This year the strawberry and lemon crops have been so plentiful that I had so many lemons and strawberries that I just had no way of getting them used up unless I made something with them. I searched high and low for a recipe for that used both strawberries and lemons. Weird huh? Not many out there. So I adapted a strawberry bread recipe from Union Street Eats and it turned out perfect!
Strawberry and Lemon Quick Bread (adapted from Union Street Eats)
Preheat oven to 375F
Grease and flour a 9X5 inch bread pan
2 Cups fresh strawberries, roughly chopped
1 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
zest of one lemon
3/4 Cup granulated sugar
1/4 Cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 Cup vegetable oil
1/4 Cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Place chopped strawberries in a large strainer or colander and sprinkle with a couple of Tbsp of sugar. Let sit for about 15 minutes
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, lemon zest, both sugars, cinnamon, baking soda and salt
- In a separate bowl whisk together eggs, vanilla, oil and lemon juice.
- Stir in the strawberries.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Do not over-mix.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool before removing from pan.
I also want to give a quick shout out to the folks at The Food Channel. They featured my blog in “Thing We Love” So honored…Head on over and check them out. They have some great stuff on their site (besides me!! LOL)