Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Roasted Romanesco

Have you seen this veggie? It seems that some of the crazier looking vegetables are becoming more mainstream. This is the definition of it from Wikipedia - “Romanesco is an edible flower of the species Brassica oleracea and a variant form of cauliflower. Romanesco broccoli was first documented in Italy (as broccolo romanesco) in the sixteenth century. It is sometimes called broccoflower, but that name is also applied to green-curded cauliflower cultivars. It is also known as coral broccoli. It is rich in vitamin C, fiber, and carotenoids.”

I did a post on Romanesco last year because I thought it was such and interesting and unique veggie. This year it is popping up all over the place. I have used it in soups, steamed it, and eaten raw. This time I wanted to try roasting it as I had with cauliflower a couple of weeks ago! Turned out delicious and this is all I did…

Roasted Romanesco

Romanesco, trimmed and cleaned as you would broccoli or cauliflower
Olive oil
salt and pepper
sliced garlic
parmesan cheese grated

Preheat oven to 400. In a bowl toss all of the ingredients and roast on a baking sheet for about 20 minutes or until just tender.

As Always…

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

12 comments:

Peter M said...

It does look like something that would have dropped from a fly-by UFO doesn't it?

It does thankfully taste good and I would roast it up with a dressing like you did.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, we have a lot of these in the Swiss supermarket, always curious and wonder how to cook them. Thanks for your recipe! Will give a try! Some people asked me just cook it like broccoli, in the restaurant, they sometimes served a little on side of the main dish.

toontz said...

Oh, I love that color of green! Sounds delish!

Thistlemoon said...

Sounds so good Judy! I loved the raw bit I tried when I was at your house, but still have yet to see it at our farmers market here...:(

Bob said...

I've never tried it, I'll have to see if I can get my hands on some. Thanks for the tip!

Maria said...

Interesting! I have never tried this. I want to now!

Anonymous said...

Simple and lovely. It kind of creeps me out to look at but I could get over it if it tastes good!!

best,
Emily

Melissa said...

I'm fascinated. Learned something new. :) I think this is what I saw growing in a friend's mom's garden recently. The son called it green cauliflower, but I think it was this. I should hunt some down and roast it because I am totally curious.

AssertiveWit said...

looks kinda like broccoli once you cooked it!

Anonymous said...

Saw it on my little produce field trip a week ago. It's truly beautiful! I've purchased "regular" green cauliflower and roasted it for some soup which ended up being a sort of brownish color -- not as beautiful as the raw veggie. This recipe sounds yummy! Next time I see some romanesco around here, I'll have to try this recipe. Sounds delish!

glamah16 said...

I like what you did with this, It is one one the more fascinatine vegs for sure.

Rumela said...

My father is a huge fan of roasted romanesco as like veg recipe and I always try to make it for him whenever we see my parents. He has yet to be fully blown away by any of the recipes i've tried. Simplicity is key, and yours looks perfect! Can't wait to try it.