Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Soup Anyone?

Chicken Soup...

I made the most delicious soup last night. I love it when I do that. In the process I also got to clean out and use up so many things in my fridge that I just assumed were going to go to Bertha (my composter). I was able to use up some turnips, romanesco, and swiss chard.

This is really just a basic chicken soup. I was a little lazy. I had made chicken the night before and saved all the bones. Cooked up some onion, carrot, celery and garlic in a little bit of olive oil. In a separate pan I sauteed the raw chicken parts (from the chicken the night before-neck, gizzard etc.). Added them and the bones to the veggie mixture. Added water to fill the pot nicely. Tossed in some fresh thyme and parsley and let this simmer all day long.

Later during the day I added some chopped up turnip and to finish it off I added some romanesco, swiss chard, chopped up leftover chicken and a handful of Quinoa for good measure. Taste before serving to make sure there is enough salt and pepper. I added a bit of white pepper as I find this helps to brighten the soup.

This was a delicious make ahead meal that my family loves...

I served it with this bread...

This bread is good but is it as good as Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day? No way. This bread though is super, super fast and works in a pinch. I will definitely make it again. From beginning to the oven it took me all of 5 minutes!

As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

9 comments:

Thistlemoon said...

Your bread looks great! I can't believe we made it on the same night! And I am posting about the chicken soup I made tomorrow! I swear we have the same freaking brain sometimes, Judy! :)

Elle said...

Chicken soup and warm bread is a great meal anytime. Looks wonderful, Judy!

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

Your composter's called Bertha?...LOL Great soup Judy and beautiful bread! Mmmm...with lotsa butter!

glamah16 said...

Yumm, after reading this maybe I will male some soup and feel better.

Bob said...

Man, I wish I had a composter! That would mean I had a garden... well, your soup looks fantastic. :)

Jen said...

THis is what I love about chicken soup - it really is a catch all.

I'm just about to get started with the Artisan book bread. I'm looking forward to playing with it.

Peter M said...

Soup is indeed on...you know what it's like living up here. Soup is survival food!

Maris said...

LOVE beer bread. Your recipe sounds great!

Rebeca said...

Chicken soup is my favorite but this is new kind of soup. I have never taste it. I will make it tonight.