Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Wild Boar Sausage and Peppers!



Months ago I was lucky enough to get my hands on a whole case of organic green bell peppers. No way was I going to be able to use them all up so I froze them. Cleaned them, cut them in half and cleaned out the seeds and plopped them in freezer bags and froze them for later use. I am so glad I did this otherwise I may not have immediately thought of them when Jaden of Steamy Kitchen handed me 2 packs of wild boar sausage and some wild boar steaks!!! I have truly been blessed by Jaden's generosity! Wild boar (her hubby hunted), chicken, noodles, tomatoes, kefir lime leaves, jalapenos and the list goes on.

I got the wild boar when our families met up for the day at the Myakka River State Park. We were heading there anyway as the girls wanted to go fishing and it really is a cool place to go. The alligators are pretty much right beside you and it makes for some pretty exciting photographs...here is an awesome video that Jaden made of her boys first fishing trip with us! Anyway Jaden is about 30 minutes from the park so I suggested that they meet for some fun! Turned out to be a great day. The kids caught some tiny little fish and we went home with a bunch of wild boar!!!


Because of a freezer full of peppers I knew exactly what to do. Thaw out the Italian sausage and the peppers. I always have onions so that wasn't an issue.

I cooked up the sausage in a large skillet, with a small bit of olive oil to prevents sticking. I sliced up the peppers, onions and some garlic and added them to the pan. Seasoned with some garlic powder, salt and pepper. Sometimes we eat this in a bun as a sandwich but for this one we ate it just like it was and was it ever delicious! That wild boar sausage was seasoned perfectly. I cannot wait to try the brats...

As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

19 comments:

sj said...

oh yum! sounds wonderful! was it really different tasting?

Patsyk said...

What a perfect way to use those sausages! So, what do wild boar sausages taste like? Different from other types?

glamah16 said...

I bet they were awesome!

SteamyKitchen said...

woooooooaaaahhhh...that looks great! Should have your huzb come out with them next time.

Brittany said...

I think Jaden is officially the best friend to have...ever.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

It's so nice to have foodie friends Judy...who live close as well to enjoy:D

Bob said...

Sounds great! The only time I had wild boar it wasn't prepped well and was really, really salty. I would love to try it again.

Jen said...

I've never tried wild boar, and have always wanted to. I'm a huge fan of sausage and peppers, though, so this looks wonderful.

Lori said...

I love sausage and peppers. Yum! I have yet to try wild boar. I need to broaden my horizons.

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hey Jo-Nope it wasn't gamey if that's what you mean. Nice and sweet!!!

Hey Patsy-I guess it was a bit sweeter and richer than regular sausage!

The Courtney-they sure were!

Hey Jaden-He would love to come out the next time yours goes!!! Just let me know and he will be there!!!

Hey Brittany-I think you may be right there. She is a great friend to have!!!

Hay Val-Aren't I lucky? jaden is about 1 hr and 15 min. by highway so it is really doable!

Hey Ben-I can see you now! If you ever get a chance though the meat is incredible!

Hey Bob-Jaden's husband prepped this perfectly and they have a great butcher who makes really good sausage!!!

Hi Jen-Try the boar if you ever get a chance.

Hey Lori-the sausage and peppers were so good and made for a perfect meal!

AssertiveWit said...

I live in Atlanta and don't think I'd ever find any wild boar but it sure sounds tasty!

Unknown said...

Looks wonderful. I bet you were glad you kept it simple so you could really taste the gorgeous wild boar sausages. What a treat, and what a generous friend!

Emily
www.justeatfood.com

Thistlemoon said...

Ben! I'll go with you! :)

Anonymous said...

Um...YUM???? I've had fun "listening" to you two twitter about all of this. Would love to try boar in a nice daube. Of course, I'm a total fan of green peppers, so having trouble not drooling on my keyboard right now.

Peter M said...

Gifts of food are my favourite type of gift...who needs a new train set when boar sausage is for the taking?

Susan @ SGCC said...

Glad you had fun at Myakka. Since we're only about 20 minutes away, we trek over there a lot too. The sausage and peppers look fab! Never tried wild boar, but it sounds very interesting.

Ivy said...

I've eaten wild boar before and it is delicious so I guess the sausages must be equally delicious.

Melissa said...

What a cool video!! :D

Would love to give wild boar a try. And really I think sausage is one of my favorite meals, but it has to be done just right. I'm getting spoiled by my local markets.

Anyway, hooray for Jaden giving you that stuff. Your meal looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

awesome stuff, and great looking sausages!! Jaden is great.