Thursday, February 12, 2009

Thyme and Rosemary Roasted Beets

Oven roasted beets with Rosemary and Thyme. See the pinkish tinge that white beets have picked up from the red?

I love Beets. I love them raw, pickled, boiled but I especially love them oven roasted! I first used this recipe last year when I was getting huge, beautiful beets from the farmers market.

I had some white and red beets in my fridge so I thought I would roast them up together. Not sure if the white ones taste any different or not but they certainly did look pretty altogether.

This recipe is from Jenn The Leftover Queen. She made hers into a salad using the tops and all. By the time I got around to roasting these the tops were happily in my composter doing it's thing in there!

Oven Roasted Beets (The Leftover Queen)

INGREDIENTS:

8 fresh beets
2 TBS olive oil
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried thyme
salt & pepper to taste

METHOD:

Preheat oven to 425 F. Wash and trim beets, leaving their skins on. Wash and reserve beet greens.

Line a cookie sheet with tin foil. Place beets on cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with rosemary, thyme, salt & pepper. Shake cookie sheet so that beets get coated with oil and spices. Place in the preheated oven and roast for 45 minutes or until beets are fork tender.

Take beets out of the oven and peel skins off. Note: If you care about your nails, which some people do, wear gloves, or you will have red dye under your nails for days afterwards. Do not run under water as it will wash away a lot of flavor. Cut into quarters. Drizzle with good extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper. Toss and set aside.


As Alway...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

17 comments:

amycaseycooks said...

Oh!!! Roasted beets are a favorite of mine. I have a bunch in the fridge that I need to get into the oven - right after today's grocery shopping. Love the two different colored beets in your recipe.

Aggie said...

I love beets too...but I've never had them roasted! I will have to look for some at the market and try this...looks beautiful!!

Elle said...

Oven roasted beets are the best! And so good or you, too. They look so pretty!

RecipeGirl said...

This looks amazing! I am a total fan of beets.. cooked all ways!

Melissa said...

I really need to try beets - I haven't had them since childhood, when I think my mom may have served them once. Salad, roasted, both sound good!

Thistlemoon said...

Ha ha, I saw this in my inbox and rushed over because I LOVE beets, and you used my recipe! Thanks so much! I am so glad you enjoyed them. Composting is a great way to use the greens!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hi EAT-Isn't it nice when someone reminds you that you have something to make?

Hey Aggie-You will love them roasted.

Hey Elle-They are good for you!

Hey Lori-Me too!

Hey Ben-They will go perfect with all of that!

Hi Melissa-We hadn't either until last year and now we love them. I grate them raw onto salads too!

Hey Jenn-That's funny. I just love this recipe even though I have tried others!!!

glamah16 said...

Love roasted beets, and this makes alovely presentation.

Anonymous said...

I love thyme with beets, and often add a bit of orange juice to the pan when I roast them.

janesnotes said...

I love beets canned, fresh grated on salads, from the farmers market in the summer and fall here in CA ,
Roasted - what a nice Valentine's combo.
Jane

janesnotes said...

Saute the beet tops too with garlic salt and pepper!

Peter M said...

Roasting beets is the only way to go...and dang healthy too!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

We are determined to eat heathlily despite ourselves Judy. I have loved beets since I was a little girl and would even eat beet, or beetroot as my mom calls it, sandwiches.

Anonymous said...

love love...kudos to u and Jen. i saw her post on how you all visited. how sweet! how you been?! ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow, love this recipe. Thyme and beets seems a marriage made in heaven. And so pretty.

Happy Valentine's Day, Judy.

The Duo Dishes said...

This is really the only way to eat beets-roasted!

Lisa O. said...

Making this for the 2nd time. I included whole cloves of garlic in mine. Really yummy....served with flat iron steak. Thanks Judy!!!!!