Thursday, June 26, 2008

Banana and Chocolate Chip Cookies...Yummmmm!

A great way to use those over ripe bananas and a nice break from banana bread!!!

What with it being summer right now and always having a bunch of children running through my house I like to have something for the kids to snack on. I have been making snack like cakes and stuff but I wanted to make some cookies.

I had some bananas that were quite a bit darker then they need to be for eating so I knew I wanted to make a cookie using them. Martha Stewart's Banana-Walnut-Chocolate-Chunk Cookies did the trick. This is the recipe that I used with my changes.

Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies (adapted from Martha's Banana-Walnut Chocolate Chunk Cookies)

Ingredients
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 light brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1-2 ripe/over ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 8 oz bittersweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans

Directions
  1. Combine flours ,salt and baking soda in a bowl; set aside.
  2. Mix butter and sugars with mixer until fluffy.
  3. Add egg, vanilla and banana continue mixing until well blended.
  4. Then add flour mixture.
  5. Stir in oats, walnuts and chocolate chunks.
  6. Spoon out in hefty scoops onto a parchment linked baking sheet.
  7. (Or just a greased cookie sheet is fine)
  8. (Batter will be gloppy or runny not firm or packable)
  9. Bake for 12 minutes at 375 degrees.
These cookies were so delicious. The little ones had them gone in no time. At least nothing is going to waste this summer!!! Take a plate of these to the 4th of July party and you will see what I mean!!!

As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

23 comments:

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

These look great - I almost put my hand thru the screen to grab one!!

Cheers
Cathy
www.wheresmydamnanswer.com

Joanna Schmidt said...

Oh thank you thank you. I have some very dark bananas I was going to make banana bread with, but I can't find my recipe that I adore. I'll make the cookies instead! Do you have an awesome banana bread recipe to post?

Megan Coyle said...

oh those look delicious. Thank you for posting the recipe! I love banana nut bread, and basically anything banana flavored, so these are perfect!

Thistlemoon said...

Great way to keep the kids' energy up and use up those nanners! :)

Peter M said...

I was about to say I'm done, over with banana bread this year. This IS a cool way to use up those ole' yellers!

jen721 said...

Sounds yummy! I was actually wondering what to do with my overripe bananas. I will give this a try later today! Thanks! :()

ZDub said...

I love chocolate and bananas! Perfect, thanks!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hi Cathy - these were really great. Wouldn't that be fun if we could sample stuff through the computer?

Joanna-I think I posted banana bread a bit ago. Do a search of my blog to find it!

Hi Megan-I love that combo too!

Hi Jenn-yah...like the kids need their energy levels kept up!!!

Hi Peter-It was way better than banana bread.

Hi Jen721-glad I could help!

Hi Zakary-great combo!

Lori-Grace said...

I purposely buy bananas over ripe for just these sorts of occasions. (because you can get them for 1/4 of the price, and freeze them in their skins, and still produce treats like a gourmet baker.)

This one will definitely be added to my family favourite cook book.

Brett said...

I just feel so hungry now

Anonymous said...

wow that sounds good

Anonymous said...

great site!

Noah S-L said...

seems almost like the Banana Chocolate Chip Bread at breadsmith.

Susel said...

yummy! I love banana bread and banana muffin but ive never tried a cookie! looks scrumptious!

Anonymous said...

This sounds yummy! I love the banana and chocolate combo and combining it in a cookie sounds excellent!

Rokusan6 said...

My co-workers think I can't cook. Truth is, I'm rarely inspired to make anything to take in on food-days, but THESE look really great!

Just wait until my team gets up from their fainting dead away to try them! :-)

Anonymous said...

Those banana chocolate chip cookies look good. I love bananas and dark chocolate, do you have any recipes combining the two? I love pie!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hi littlescotia-bananas are so incredibly versatile!!!

Sorry Ben!!!

Hi Brett-get the cookies made!

Thanks Anonymous!

Hi Noah S-L-could be!

Hi classy and fabulous-i think the cookie is the way to go...much easier to eat!

Hi San Francisco Photos-cookie + chocolate + banana =Yummm!

Rokusan6-Let me know how they are!

Hi Avis-add whatever chocolate you love- do chunks if you like!

Anonymous said...

hello nice to see your blog... keep posting for recipes.
here is my recipes blog.
http://ezhealthyrecipes.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

YUMMY thanks for ahring this i cant wait to try!

jen721 said...

Tried it, turned out yummy! Thanks!

ashakb said...

i like that chocolate banana cookies. from where i can get it. right now i am in cochin.
===================================
ashakb

ashakb@rediffmail.com

Cathy said...

I can't wait to try these, they look amazing!! Thanks for the post!