Friday, November 16, 2007

Chalupa-Not Taco Bell


A couple of nights ago I was thinking about all of the things that I have made that we really liked. I was going through my recipe box and I came across a recipe card that said "Chalupa". I made this probably about 13 years ago and T. and I really liked it. For some reason though I only made it once! I decided that I had better break out the old crock pot and try it again. Well let me tell you, it was truly a hit. My youngest one even opted to take it to school is a thermos for her lunch today! This is not the Chalupa that was famous at Taco Bell a couple of years ago. This is real Mexican pork and beans slow cooked until the meat is falling apart. It is a type of chili without the tomato base. Regardless everyone loved it!

Chalupa

3 lbs Pork Roast (I used a boneless loin)
1 lb dried pinto beans
1 small can chopped green chilies
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. cumin powder
1 tsp. oregano
1 Tbsp salt

Put everything in the crock pot and put in enough water to just cover the meat. You may need to check this later to be sure that there is enough water (the beans absorb a ton of it).
Cook on high for about 8 hours.

We served it topped with shredded cheddar cheese and hot sauce. The girls ate them in tortilla shells but we just ate ours with a spoon. So if you need a good, hearty, fast and easy, stick to your ribs meal this would be it!

As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

1 comment:

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Thanks so much for the info Ben. I would love to know which region this recipe comes from. It is so wonderful in it's simplicity! As is most Mexican food. The perfect marriage of spices and meat.