I am always trying to feed my kids the healthiest things that I can. Most week nights I have a ridiculously tigh schedule and sometimes we only have about 20 minutes for dinner. On those nights they get leftover pizza or something but on the nights when I have a few more minutes I like to make these and they really love them. Even if they do eat them with ranch dressing???
Oven Baked Fish Nuggets (inspired by Kalyn’s Kitchen)
Preheat oven to 450F
1 lb of fish (cod, tilapia, halibut) filet, thawed if frozen
1 cup flour
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp kosher salt
1 tsp paprika
2 eggs, beaten with a splash of water
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Cut your fish fillet so it is about ½ inch thick. Then cut it into 1 inch wide pieces. Pat them dry with a paper towel and set aside.
- Get out three large bowls. Add in your flour, garlic powder and paprika to the first, the eggs and water to the second, and the breadcrumbs to the third. Mix to combine all the ingredients in each bowl.
- Spray a baking sheet with spray olive oil to cover.
- Dip each fish nugget into the flour mixture. Shake off excess flour and dip into the egg bowl. Then dip into the bread crumbs and lay onto your baking sheet in a single layer. Continue with the rest of your nuggets. Give the fish a light spray of the olive oil spray and put into the oven.
- Bake for 18 – 20 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Serve with tartar sauce or ketchup for dipping.
***The kids love fish stick night. I have tried these using cod and tilapia. Just about any firm white fish would do!