Saturday, September 4, 2010

Banana Cake with Chocolate Frosting

So we can all do with another way to use up over ripe bananas right?

I had a bunch sitting on the counter and I needed to find a way to use them up.  Sure I could have frozen them but it is so much more rewarding to make something out of them then to shove them into the deep dark abyss of the freezer!  This is what I came up with…

DSC_0243

Banana Cake with Chocolate Frosting (previously posted)

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
2 cups flour, sifted
1/2 tsp. of salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp. vanilla
3/4 tsp. baking soda (add to pureed bananas)
3 pureed bananas, very ripe

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x13" baking pan or two 9" layer cake pans.
2. Cream butter, sugar and eggs. Sift flour several times, then add the salt and baking powder to the flour.
3. To the creamed butter mixture, add the milk and flour (alternating, beginning and ending with flour).
4. Add vanilla and mashed bananas (with the baking soda added to the bananas) to this mixture.
5. Bake layer cakes (9") for 25-30 minutes, oblong (9x13") for 35-40 minutes.
6. Allow to cool completely before frosting.

"PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING (Hershey Cocoa container)

Ingredients:

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.

signature

6 comments:

Coach J said...

Mmmm... looks yummy. Unfortunately, with the amount of kids we have in our house, we never get to the over-ripe banana stage. Those kids love them some bananas.

Jo Romero said...

We always have over-ripe bananas in our house - as you mention I normally just bag them up and in the freezer they go... now I will have to give this a try - looks great. Thanks for sharing!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

I always freeze them, then I never use them. Next time I'm doing this. I'm your newest follower. I love your site.


Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's for Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Heather said...

Oh my all that frosting. Cake season (the HOLIDAYS) just kills me. I want it all and will not take NO for an answer...

petit fournil de paris said...

Wow. Your blog is so stunning.
I love it! I want to make a blog like this, too. But mine isn't as good as yours.
Hm, possibly sooner or later. ;)
But it's really really great.

I would be glad and honoured if you take a look at my blog.

xx Jana, by petit fournil de paris.

Megan said...

My hubs and kid are on a chocolate covered banana chip thing and they would love this cake!