Friday, September 24, 2010

Chicken Wings for #GoJunkFood

I was hanging out on twitter a couple of weeks ago and I saw some talk about chicken wings.  Love me some good ole chicken wings.  Remember when you were much, much younger and could go to the bars for 10 cent (where the heck is the “cent” key???) wing night?  Well I do and still to this day that’s how I like my wings.  Fried nice and crispy, smothered in a nice hot sauce that isn’t too thick or too thin but just right…and oh yah, for 10 cents a piece…LOL!!!

Well those days are long gone.  I think I have seen them advertised for 35 cents on special nights but to me that just isn’t the same.  We do have one wing place where the wings are good, especially if you order them well done!  But mostly wings out are a treat and when we do have a craving for them I make them really quick in the oven…watching the waist line you know and then I can have the sauce or the spices (depending on the mood) just right for me…

DSC_0252

Chicken Wings

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Wash wings and remove any feathers that have been left on.
You can cut of the tips and separate them but my family actually fights over the tips (go figure???) so we leave them on. 
Place in a large bowl and toss with about half of the spice/seasoning rub and arrange on a foil lined pan for baking.
Bake for about 40 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown.

DSC_0258

Spice/Seasoning Rub for Chicken Wings

1 Tbsp granulated garlic
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1-1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp paprika

DSC_0250-1

Hot Sauce for Chicken Wings

1/2 bottle of Frank’s Red Hot Original
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 Tbs melted butter

Half of the wings I tossed with the Hot Sauce and the other half I tossed with the remaining Spice/Seasoning Rub.

These wings are part of the #GoJunkFood quest to take your every day bar food and put your own spin on it. Be sure to visit all of the other bloggers involved…

Elle at Elle’s New England kitchen
Paula at The Dragons Kitchen
Chris at Blog Well Done
Renee at Flamingo Musings
Heather at He Cooks...She Cooks

signature

7 comments:

Elle said...

Oh Judy--a girl after my own heart! I love the dry spice blend that you put on there first. Looks awesome!

Kristen said...

I love chicken wings and have yet to make them just right. Would love to try your recipe!

And... I am old enough to remember those wing days. Have you been to Buffalo Wild Wings? Talk about spending your paycheck on dinner. They aren't cheap anymore!

Deeba PAB said...

You make me want to 'wing' my way across Judy ... how super tempting are these. Love the dry spice blend. You folk must have had a finger licking good meal!

RJ Flamingo said...

Love your version, Judy - that spice combo is awesome! I need to get some more chicken!

Thistlemoon said...

Judy I love this recipe!

Sarah with an "h" said...

Mmm...the hot sauce ones look amazing!

:o)Sarah

DERRICK said...

Love the dry spice blend