Thursday, September 30, 2010

Badly needed Energy Bars

I guess most of you, or at least anyone who follows me on Facebook and Twitter, know that I have taken up running.  It’s only been a couple of months but I am really loving it.  Now I am only running between 2-4 miles 3 or 4 days a week, but add that to the walking and weights I have been doing and I need some energy help during some workouts. 

You also know that we eat very few processed foods with granola bars and energy bars being the exception.  At least now you can buy them with no artificial sugars or dyes…anyway, I need something that I can grab at 5:00AM when I head out the door for my run and these are just about perfect.

DSC_0259

Energy Bars Adapted from The Food You Crave by Ellie Krieger

Ingredients

  • Cooking spray
  • 1 cup quick cooking rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup roasted sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
  • 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup dried apples
  • 1/2 cup pecans
  • 1/2 cup pitted dried dates (I used ones with sugar but would like them without next time)
  • 1/2 cup powdered nonfat dry milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
  • 2 large eggs

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9 by 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.

Place all ingredients except the syrup and eggs in a food processor and pulse until the mixture is finely chopped. Add the syrup and eggs and pulse until the mixture is well combined. It will resemble a coarse paste.

Transfer to the baking pan and spread evenly pressing in with your fingers. Bake until lightly browned and just done, about 20 minutes. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes and then cut into 24 squares.

These can be stored in an airtight container at room temp for about 3 days or wrap individually and freeze for up to  3 months.

***I really loved these and so did the family.  I think that this is a really versatile recipe and am looking forward to playing with the dried fruits and nuts used in it.  The recipe calls for almonds and apricots so I may try that with some cranberries thrown in…endless possibilities!

***WW points has it as a 3 point recipe but I think with all of the good fats and whole grains in it it is worth the splurge!

signature

2 comments:

Elle said...

Oooh, all good things that I love! Will have to give these a try. :)

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

They sound great. I wish I had half your get up and go.