So we can all do with another way to use up over ripe bananas right?
I had a bunch sitting on the counter and I needed to find a way to use them up. Sure I could have frozen them but it is so much more rewarding to make something out of them then to shove them into the deep dark abyss of the freezer! This is what I came up with…
Banana Cake with Chocolate Frosting (previously posted)
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
2 cups flour, sifted
1/2 tsp. of salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp. vanilla
3/4 tsp. baking soda (add to pureed bananas)
3 pureed bananas, very ripe
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x13" baking pan or two 9" layer cake pans.
2. Cream butter, sugar and eggs. Sift flour several times, then add the salt and baking powder to the flour.
3. To the creamed butter mixture, add the milk and flour (alternating, beginning and ending with flour).
4. Add vanilla and mashed bananas (with the baking soda added to the bananas) to this mixture.
5. Bake layer cakes (9") for 25-30 minutes, oblong (9x13") for 35-40 minutes.
6. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
"PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING (Hershey Cocoa container)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.