I have so many things that I have made and kept meaning to post. You know like the perfect popsicle, or salad and then you get distracted by a play date by the pool, or a trip to the beach, or a lengthy vacation? Well that’s exactly how my summer went.
So better late then never here are some cupcakes that I made for Tony’s birthday by special request. I won’t even tell you when his birthday was but I will tell you that he loved these things! For me it was really the novelty of it and I really didn’t like the smokiness with the chocolate but truth be told I am not a huge smoky flavor lover. Really none of that mattered anyway. It was his birthday and these are what he wanted…
Dark Chocolate and Bacon Cupcakes (allrecipes.com)
- 12 slices bacon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cold, strong, brewed coffee
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, 3/4 cup cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the eggs, coffee, buttermilk and oil. Stir just until blended. Mix in 3/4 of the bacon, reserving the rest for garnish. Spoon the batter into the prepared cups, dividing evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the tops spring back when lightly pressed, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in the pan set over a wire rack. When cool, arrange the cupcakes on a serving platter. Frost with your favorite chocolate frosting and sprinkle reserved bacon crumbles on top. Dust with additional cocoa powder.