Monday, August 2, 2010

Malaysian Shrimp Salad

It’s hot here.  Very, very hot here.  Yes, I know that I live in SW Florida and that the summers are really hot but this is hot even by Floridian standards.  Every single day the heat index is up over 105F and that just makes it really challenging when trying to do anything other than lounge in a pool all day!  Gotta give my oldest credit though!  She is still riding and racing BMX even in all this heat…

When I saw this salad on the Weight Watcher site I knew I had to make it.  Minimal heat being used and if you use precooked shrimp no heat being used at all.  Perfect summer food for me!!!  I would have used the fresh mangoes from my Mango tree but unfortunately my dog and possums got all of them faster than I could…

salad

Malaysian Shrimp Salad

Ingredients:

1 pound(s) cooked and chilled shrimp, peeled, coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)  
1 cup(s) mango(es), diced
1 cup(s) cucumber(s), diced 
2 Tbsp mint leaves, fresh, minced 
1 tsp green hot chili pepper(s), serrano-variety, minced (or to taste) I used a jalapeno
1 Tbsp olive oil, extra-virgin
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice 
2 tsp lime zest 
1/2 tsp kosher salt 
1/2 tsp sugar   

Directions:

  • In a medium bowl, combine shrimp, mango, cucumber, mint and pepper.
  • In another bowl, whisk together oil, lime juice and zest, salt and sugar; toss with shrimp mixture. Yields about 1 cup shrimp salad per serving.
  • **I thought this was delicious but maybe a little flat tasting…maybe more salt? 

    ***WW points is 4 based on a 1 cup serving

    signature

    7 comments:

    Jim Mosier said...

    That looks refreshing. Sounds like it would be great with Johnny Cakes, but I have Johnny Cakes on the brain today...

    Chef David E said...

    Looks fantastic, Judy!

    Judy@nofearentertaining said...

    Thanks Jim and David!!!

    Unknown said...

    It's very nice topic in a useful blog thanks for sharing.
    & that's my blog hope u visit me soon
    www.bestmobilesview.blogspot.com

    Thistlemoon said...

    It looks so refreshing Judy!!!

    Unknown said...

    Making me hungry looking through and reading it.
    I am definitely going to follow your blog for recipes!

    Thank you!

    Dog grooming in Utah

    test it comm said...

    What an amazing salad for hot summer days!