Friday, August 27, 2010

Dark Chocolate and Bacon (yes, bacon) Cupcakes

I have so many things that I have made and kept meaning to post.  You know like the perfect popsicle, or salad and then you get distracted by a play date by the pool, or a trip to the beach, or a lengthy vacation?  Well that’s exactly how my summer went. 

So better late then never here are some cupcakes that I made for Tony’s birthday by special request.  I won’t even tell you when his birthday was but I will tell you that he loved these things!  For me it was really the novelty of it and I really didn’t like the smokiness with the chocolate but truth be told I am not a huge smoky flavor lover.  Really none of that mattered anyway.  It was his birthday and these are what he wanted…

DSC_0127

Dark Chocolate and Bacon Cupcakes (allrecipes.com)

Ingredients
  • 12 slices bacon
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup cold, strong, brewed coffee
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, 3/4 cup cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the eggs, coffee, buttermilk and oil. Stir just until blended. Mix in 3/4 of the bacon, reserving the rest for garnish. Spoon the batter into the prepared cups, dividing evenly.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven until the tops spring back when lightly pressed, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in the pan set over a wire rack. When cool, arrange the cupcakes on a serving platter. Frost with your favorite chocolate frosting and sprinkle reserved bacon crumbles on top. Dust with additional cocoa powder.

signature

7 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Bacon is showing up everywhere in sweets. This may give me the push to give it a try at home Judy:D

Barbara | VinoLuciStyle said...

There is a bakery in Boulder that makes a similar cupcake; the topping is chocolate ganache and the bacon is more of a maple flavor without the smoke.

Must save I love it. Sweet/salty/crisp bacon with smooth ganache. Thankful right now Boulder is 40 minutes from here cause you've now got my mouth watering!

Paula said...

one day I`ve made cookies with chocolate chips and candied bacon and it was great too so I like your combination :)

Elle said...

Oooh, nice choice for a birthday treat, for sure! They look mouth-wateringly good!

coco cooks said...

I have yet to see bacon with chocolate, but why not!Bacon makes everything better.

Thistlemoon said...

These sound totally amazing! Happy belated birthday Tony!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

I think I love you...

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's for Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com