Friday, August 20, 2010

Mediterranean Lentils

When I was in Toronto last month my Mom gifted me with a cookbook that my sister has been raving about.  Turns out I love this cookbook as well!

I have made several recipes from it already but seeing as the kids are still out of school I still have no time for myself!  That’s all about to change coming up next week.  Summer is officially over and the kids start back to school on Monday.  Really bittersweet for me.  I have had so much fun with them this summer, probably one of our best summers yet!

Anyway onto the recipe and expect to see a lot more from this book and from me…

Mediterranean Lentils

DSC_0215

***Soak the lentils overnight

Ingredients:

1 cup lentils (green hold there shape better and are firmer)
2 thin leeks, whites only, washed well and chopped thinly
1 cup cilantro
2 tsp fresh mint, chopped
1 tsp fresh rosemary (or 1/4 tsp dried)
pinch of fresh ground black pepper
2 tsp ground coriander
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp fish sauce (called for 3 but I added less)
1 Tbsp best quality extra virgin olive oil

Directions:

Soak the lentils in plenty of cold water overnight.

Rinse and drain the lentils.  Place in a large saucepan and cover with just enough fresh water to cover them.  Bring to a boil.  Skim any foam from the water and reduce the heat to a simmer.

Add the chopped leeks and cilantro to the lentils and stir.  Add all remaining ingredients and simmer until tender-about 30 minutes.

Serve hot.

***I thought this was delicious!  Sadly though the night that I made it all I had time to make to go with it was hamburgers!  LOL.  Not the best combo but I can assure you that they were delicious the next day for lunch!!!

***WW point based on a one cup serving…1 Point!

signature

3 comments:

Elle said...

This looks and sounds wonderful, Judy! I'll have to check out a copy of the book.

I know what you mean about summer break ending--it's always bittersweet for me, too. I love having the kids and seeing them so carefree and happy that it's summer.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

All of the additions make for one tasty lentil dish Judy.

Thistlemoon said...

I adore lentils, and this looks so good!