Monday, January 19, 2009

Soup and Chili Weather!


It doesn't really get "cold" here, it just feels like it is to us. After living our summers at 90 degrees and above when the temperature starts to drop below 75 degrees we feel a little chill in the air! Go ahead laugh all you want but when it is in the 40's during the night and only the 60's during the day we need to be bundled up!!! Hence my huge desire for soups and chili last week.

I put a shout out on Twitter (follow me here to find out what I'm up to!) looking for chili recipe and "Wow" did my friends deliver! I have so many chili recipes favorited and that I can't wait to try! Due to my daughter still being sick I wasn't able to head to the grocery store to pick up any missing items so I was rather limited on what I could make. Someone sent me this Weight Watchers recipe though that fit all of my requirements and was low in points (5 points per serving) as well!!!

Bean and Beef Chili (adapted from WW)

Ingredients


2 tsp olive oil

1 medium onion(s)

2 medium stalk(s) celery

2 medium garlic clove(s)

1 small jalapeño pepper(s)

1 pound(s) lean ground sirloin

2 tbsp chili powder

2 tsp ground cumin

1 tsp dried oregano

2 piece(s) bay leaf

1/2 tsp table salt

1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

28 oz canned crushed tomatoes

8 oz canned diced tomatoes

15 oz canned kidney beans

3/4 cup(s) canned chicken broth

Instructions

Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, garlic and jalapeño; sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Add beef and sauté until browned and cooked through, breaking up meat as it cooks, about 5 minutes; drain mixture through a colander to remove excess fat.

Return beef mixture to pan (set over medium-high heat) and add chili powder, cumin, oregano, bay leaves, salt and red pepper flakes; stir to coat vegetables and beef with spices. Add tomatoes, broth, diced tomatoes and beans, and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes.

To serve, discard bay leaves, ladle chili into bowls and top with chopped shallots. Yields about 1 heaping cup per serving.

I loved this recipe and despite it being a WW recipe I will make it again and again! This would be great for a buffet meal or a pot luck. Cook as per directions and then hold warm in a crock pot!

As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

14 comments:

RecipeGirl said...

Yay for lighter recipes! I love to have chili when I'm watching my weight... it's so filling and satisfying!

Elle said...

You got me craving chili, too--made some yesterday, as well. I love this one! It looks simple and delicious!

Megan said...

Too funny. We both did short ribs this week and guess what I have in the crock pot today. You guessed it, chili!
This one looks delish!

Thistlemoon said...

Yum you are so right Judy! This looks delicious! Perfect for the cold snap right now.

Bob said...

I love me some chili and that one looks good. If you hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't have know it was weight watchers.

glamah16 said...

Seeing as I am really cold, could you pass abowl please?

Anonymous said...

When I lived in Brooklyn where i was born and raised I would have killed for a bowl of chili like this (buy Mother Aida refused to make chili - she was Italian, after all).

But now that I live in the south (Atlanta) i know better than to put beans in chili.

Louise (therealchiffonade)

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

Hmmm Hmmm Good what a great cold winter night meal {{ if winter ever hits southern California}}

Unknown said...

Sounds great! I love spicy chili. Yum, yum! Hope you are staying warm and toasty in FL!

xo from Chicagoland

Emily
www.justeatfood.com

Anonymous said...

That looks perfect for this spate of cold weather we've been having here in Rhode Island. I love chili with or without beans, as long as there's a bit of heat in it!

Peter M said...

Yay for chilli and kidney beans! You're prodding me to make a batch...it's kinda cold up here! lol

Jo said...

I love chilli and this looks like a delicious recipe. I come from the tropics and if the temp drops to 70s I would feel chilly as well.

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hey Lori-This did have a ton of flavor and was satisfying!

Hey Elle-It was simple and delicious!

Hi Megan-Parallel food lives!!!

Hey Jenn-Perfect for the cold!

Hey Bob-Hubby had no idea!

Have your bowl saved Courtney!

Hey Cathy-you guys are having beautiful weather!

Hey Emily-Love this cool weather!

Hey Lydia-there is a bit of heat. I add fresh jalapenos and cilantro when I served it!

Hey Peter-Love chili!

Hey Jo-You'd like this one!

sj said...

Oh wow Judy! This looks amazing! Yummy good for the cold weather here in PA... I might need to make this one over the weekend! Thank you!