Friday, January 16, 2009

Oh Baby, It's cold outside...

Tuscan Pumpkin and White Bean Soup - Warm and hearty soup for a cold night!

It has been cold here in Florida. Yah, I know it's absolutely nothing like what you are all getting up North but for here it's definitely time to get the soup on...

Last night I wanted something fast, easy, warm and delicious. This recipe sure fit the criteria. I was looking for something with squash or pumpkin (I had roasted and pureed a squash at Halloween that I knew I wanted to use). I also wanted it to be kind on the waist line. I went with a modified version of a Weight Watcers recipe and was very pleased! I will be making this again and again!!!

Tuscan Pumpkin and White Bean Soup (adapted from Weight Watchers)

Ingredients:

1 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
15 ounces of pumpkin puree (I used roasted and pureed pumpkin)
1-15.5 ounce can of white beans, drained and rinsed
3-1/2 cups of organic chicken broth
1/4 tsp oregano
1/8 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
grated Parmesan

Instructions:
  • Heat oil in a large soup pot set over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic, cover and cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes.
  • Stir in pumpkin, broth, beans and oregano; simmer 8 minutes.
  • In a blender (or using an immersion blender), process soup in batches until smooth. (Note: Make sure not to overfill blender in order to avoid splattering.) Return soup to pot and reheat; season with salt and pepper.
As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

13 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks like a great soup for a cold day like today!

glamah16 said...

Both beautiful and tasty.

Peter M said...

I can relate to cold and soups are teeming over here (one pot a week).

This is nice and thick and in need of a grilled cheese sangwich!

JoAnn said...

Oohhh, I'm making this one tonight! It's especially unique without any milk so Sean can have some too!

Brittany said...

Oh yum, and I am so glad to hear, that even in FL, you get to experience chilly soup weather:)

Preston said...

It is so cold here in NJ and that soup sounds wonderfully warm and delicious! I wish I had some right now.

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hey Ben-I guess we're all cold and doing soup!!!

Thanks Gina!

Thanks Courtney!

Hey Peter-We had this with another loaf of that wonderful bread!

Hey JoAnn-You're right it would be perfect for him with no cream!

Hey Brittany-It gets too cold for the beach then you have to have soup!

Hey Preston-You guys have got it bad right now. That's for sure. This soup is a fast one. You could have it in no time!

Thistlemoon said...

Yum Judy! This is an awesome recipe! How can you say no to something that color? It is so beautiful and appetizing!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh Judy! YUM! Pumpkin soup is one of my favorites, but with white beans? It must be oh so deliciously hearty! I can comiserate with you and the "relative cold" it's freezing here in the islands, too! (by our standards anyway lol)

test it comm said...

The pureed beans would make this nice and creamy and good!

sj said...

the soup looks amazing and your bread in the last post looks so yummy too! well done friend! :)

Anonymous said...

I know just what you mean about "cold" ... lol! Your pumpkin soup looks just super.

Denise
http://WineFoodPairing.blogspot.com

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I have several pumpkin soup recipes. This one looks like the ONE for me.