Saturday, January 24, 2009

Pasta with Tomato and Basil

Okay, the picture I had on here all day was bugging me. I made this again and with whole wheat pasta...for the picture!
Don't tell me you've never done that!!!


I have had a couple of really hectic days and my poor family is really paying for it this time. Last night for dinner I fed the kids panko breaded tilapia, from the freezer!!! Along side of that I served a frozen dinner roll. Nice dinner huh?

So while I was up in the middle of the night while EVERYONE else slept I was trying to do a bit of meal planning. You see my sister is coming into town for a week starting Monday and I have nothing done. No cleaning, no cooking, and certainly no grocery shopping. Thanks goodness it is only Saturday and have a full 2 days to get this all done!!!

While I was thinking about food I realized that I had not posted one of my all time favorite meals in a long time. Not because we haven't been eating it but because we are so used to eating it that it doesn't seem that special anymore. But, I bet to you guys who are not getting fresh tomatoes right now this will seem mighty special to you and you will want to book mark for use in the summer!

The absolute best thing about this dish is that you make it ahead of time and it is good served either at room temperature, with a slight chill to it or warmed up a bit! I call that pretty versatile don't you?

Pasta With Fresh Tomato and Basil (4 weight watcher points figured at 6 servings)

1 head of garlic and 2 Tbsp olive oil
3 ripe plum tomatoes (I just use whatever is tasting good right them)
1/3 C fresh basil (chopped)
1 Tbsp capers
1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
1 box of long thin pasta (angel hair, linguine, spaghetti)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  • Peel of most of the paper from around the garlic head. Slice off the pointy top of the garlic. This should expose all of the cloves a bit. Place in an oven proof pan (I use a pie plate). Top with 2 Tbsp of olive oil and coarse salt. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for about 45 minutes. Allow to cool then remove the cloves and mash with a fork.
  • Dice the tomatoes (if the have a ton of seeds squeeze them out).
  • Add the garlic, basil, capers, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
  • Let stand for at least 20 minutes.
  • Cook pasta.
  • Mix sauce with pasta and serve warm or at room temperature. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Give this a try the next time you have some delicious ripe tomatoes. I know you will love it too!!!

As Always...

Judy

15 comments:

Ruth Daniels said...

Looks fantastic, and yes...I will be bookmarking this for summer and fresh tomatoes.

One of these days I hope you share a pasta dish with www.prestopastnights.com

The entire gang would love to have you join the fun.

Jo said...

Great recipe. Sometimes it's the simplest that's the tastiest.

Dharm said...

I love how simple this is and how lovely it looks!!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, roasted garlic is the business - consider it bookmarked!

glamah16 said...

Always love a pasta dish like this. Yumm.

Unknown said...

Your sister isn't expecting nor wants any special treatment or a crazy clean house...recipe looks delicious!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hey sis! What are you doing here! No food huh? What about a bed? At this point you don't have one!!! Can't wait to see you Monday!

RecipeGirl said...

I love this sort of thing. It's even better with brie melted in there!!!! (though infinitely more evil!)

Melissa said...

I'm echoing Lori on the cheese thing, but I make this in the summer with fresh shredded mozzarella. Like a Caprese pasta. So good, and I can imagine what your version would taste like with the capers and garlic. Thanks for the reminder Judy. Can't wait till summer.

Have fun with your sister!

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite dishes -- summer tomatoes or not. Just looking at it has me wishing I had a plate in front of me. (And nope, I've never made anything over to reshoot it, but I'm a lazy slob!)

Jen said...

This is probably the best stuff, ever. I just love pasta with vegetables prepared simply.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I was craving pasta myself. This is one of my favourite family dishes as well Judy. It is funny how I could sit down at your table and enjoy everything with relish!! Our tastes are so similar. I went a different route today but this still sounds heavenly to me and reminds me of summer days!!

Peter M said...

A simple pasta of tomatoes and basil has to be my favourite. I wish I could blog each time I enjoy this simple wonder.

PS...pinched!

Dazy said...

I'm making this for breakfast tomorrow. I think I'll try to shoot it, but I don't think it will be as pretty as your picture!

Couples Kitchen said...

Great minds thnk alike! i cook a similar recipe! fantastic for summer. so zingy and refreshing!