Roasted Whole Chicken
Preheat oven to 325 degrees
5-6 pound chicken
whole head of garlic
2 Tbsp of butter
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning (Usually I just sprinkle by sight. A nice light dusting is good)
fresh ground pepper
- Rinse out the chicken and remove the bag of giblets (these can be frozen and used at Thanksgiving or some later date). Place the chicken breast side up on a cutting board. (I once cooked a chicken upside down so now I always check by holding the bird up and pretending it's walking. The breast is on the bottom so I know I need to flip the bird over. This was years ago when we first married but I have never lived it down!!!).
- Mince about 5 cloves of gralic and mix it with the butter.
- Take 5 or 6 cloves of garlic (peeled and cleaned but still whole) and place it the cavity.
- Take the half lemon and place it in the cavity as well.
- Take the butter and garlic mixture and pat onto the birds skin. This will add flavor to the juices as well as make the skin nice and brown.
- Sprinkle poultry seasoning and salt and pepper on the outside of the bird.
- Gently place the chicken in your pot and place in oven.
- Cook uncovered for about 1 3/4 - 2 1/2 hrs or an internal temp of 180 - 185 degrees.
You can use the juices from the pan to make gravy which is great over rice!!! This one is a family favorite.