This wonderful event is the brain child of Andrea of Andreas Recipes. How I got asked to be involved with this incredible group is beyond me but all the thanks goes to Kelly of Sass & Veracity. There are 8 of us that have decided to do The 12 Days of Cookies - A Gourmet cookie extravaganza. We will be choosing, baking, tasting, blogging and sharing with you a cookie a day for the next 12 days of December.
These cookies are coming from Gourmet's Favorite Cookie Recipes: 1941-2008. They’ve published a lot of cookie recipes in their 68-year history, many of them around the winter holidays. This season they decided to choose the very best from each year.
These are my partners in crime. We will all be choosing different cookies and surprising each other. How fun is that???? Be sure to check out their selections for the day!
Jerry - Cooking...by the seat of my Pants
Ben - What's Cooking
Sandy -At the Baker's Bench
Courtney - Coco Cooks
Kelly - Sass & Veracity
Claire - The Barefoot Kitchen
Andrea - Andreas Recipes
Day 1 of the 12 Days of Cookies features the Lemon Thin!
How do you capture the bright sourness of lemon in a cookie? These thins do the trick: Each unassuming bite packs a punch of citrus flavor.
Lemon Thin - April 1976 (link to the recipe as it was originally printed)
2/3 Cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp lemon rind, grated
6 Tbsp butter, softened (I used unsalted)
2/3 Cup flour
- Preheat oven to 400 °
- In a bowl beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla for 3-4 minutes or until the mixture forms a ribbon when the beater is lifted. Keep beating and add the lemon rind.
- In a separate bowl beat the butter until it is light and fluffy.
- Add the butter to the egg mixture alternating with the flour.
- Drop the batter by teaspoons about 2-1/2 inches apart on parchment lined baking sheets. Flatten the mounds into 2 inch rounds with a spoon dipped in water.
- Bake the cookies for about 5 minutes, or until the edges are browned.
- Allow to cook on the sheets for 1 minute then cool them completely on a rack.
- Makes about 48 cookies.
Will I make these again? I most definitely will. They would be a great snack for a hot summer day around the pool!