Fettuccine with Tomatoes and Crispy Capers - (Food & Wine)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup small capers, drained and patted dry
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 oil-packed anchovies, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into 1-inch-wide ribbons
- 2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced basil
- 1 pound fettuccine
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, for serving
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. In a small bowl, toss the capers with the cornstarch and transfer to a sieve; shake off the excess cornstarch. Add the coated capers to the oil and fry over high heat, tilting and gently shaking the pan, until the capers are crispy and golden, about 3 minutes. Drain the capers, reserving 2 tablespoons of the oil in the skillet. Spread the capers on a paper towel–lined plate.
- Add the anchovies and garlic to the skillet and cook over high heat, stirring, until the garlic is golden and the anchovies dissolve, about 3 minutes. Add the prosciutto, separating the ribbons, and cook until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and crushed red pepper and cook just until the tomatoes begin to break down, about 3 minutes. Stir in the basil.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water. Return the pasta to the pot along with the water and pour the sauce on top. Toss over high heat just until the sauce is thickened, about 2 minutes. Serve the pasta in bowls, garnished with the crispy capers. Pass the grated cheese at the table.
Feel better! Even I know hours of Hannah Montanna and Suite Life can get to you after a while:)
Oh, Judy, I hope you feel 100% soon! No holistic cure for Strep! My eldest, but no one else in our house, gets it 2-3 times a year and it's so nasty! Be well.
Nurgh - I feel your pain - I used to get blighted with strep throat multiple times a year, it knocked me for six every time :( Happily in the last few years it hasn't made too many appearances (fingers crossed!).
After days of living on smoosh, it must've been lovely to eat this gorgeous pasta!!
Sorry to hear you've been under the weather--hopefully you get over it soon! I used to get it all the time when I was younger, too--turned out my allergies played a big part in me getting sick all the time.
Illness aside, that pasta sure looks delicious!
Hi Judy. I hope you are feeling better now.
The pasta dish looks sooo good. I'll have to try it soon.
Have a great weekend!
Feel better! Your dish looks terrific!
Oh no! And who cooks for mama when mama's sick? Strep is the worst...well, next to the stomach flu, it's the worst. :-) Glad to hear you went to the doctor and are on the road to recovery.
The pasta looks yummy...even when you're sick, you manage to hit it out of the ballpark, don't you? :-)
Glad to hear you're feeling better.
I love the idea of crispy capers! Great looking bowl of pasta.
nice blog chomchom.info
Looks like a pasta full of flavor! Yum. Feel better!
Summer colds are the worst! I just got over a nasty one. This pasta looks like a nice distraction.
That hippie medicine never seems to work for the bacterial infections. :( Glad you finally got some antibiotics, just eat lots of yogurt when you're done to get the good germs back!
Easy pasta is totally the way to go when you're icky feeling.
Thanks Brittany-Thank goodness I am feeling better-couldn't have taken another day of Hannah!!!
Hi LMcC-It is totally nasty. 2nd time this year for me!
Hi Kittie-I hope it doesn't rear it's ugly head again for me!!!
Hi Mike-My allergies are pretty much under control but living in the pollen and mold capital of the world probably doesn't help at all!
Hi Pam-Thanks so much!
Hi Danni-This was a super easy pasta. The only kind when we are sick!
Hey Eating Club-The crispy capers are neat and I can think of a dozen more dishes that they can be used in!
Oh Heather you know it! I take huge doses of acidophyllis (sp?-yogurt bacteria)when I am on anything and it seems to help! I'm with you on the easy pasta!
Hope you're feeling better soon, strep is no fun, delicious pasta dish, and I'm amazed at your 5yr olds palate, sounds like there is going to be another "foodie" in the family!
Crispy capers! Inspired! Hope you are feeling better.
Post a Comment